In recent years, more people are turning to CBD as a safe alternative treatment for their tough anxiety and depression issues. While it’s great that CBD oils are so plentiful on the market, what’s not so great is that all those oils aren’t created equal. We’ve taken the guesswork out of your search and proudly present to you our 7 best CBD oils for anxiety.
Both anxiety and depression have a large impact on people’s health all throughout the world. For years, prescription medication has been one of the main ways to treat these tough mental health conditions. The good news is that times are changing. More people are looking to natural methods like CBD oil to help quell some of the issues that stem from anxiety and depression.
According to the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance, one in 15 adults suffers from depression every year, while one in six people experiences depression at some time or another during their lives. Likewise, the Anxiety and Depression Association of America states that anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the United States, affecting 40 million adults aged 18 and older. The Anxiety and Depression Association of America also states that 264 million people worldwide suffer with anxiety.
Despite the severity of the symptoms, anyone who struggles with anxiety or depression can attest to how draining, scary, and frustrating it can feel at times. Thanks to the recent rise in popularity of CBD oil and CBD products, more people are seeking out natural treatments to treat and potentially help heal anxiety and depression.
Some long-time sufferers of anxiety and depression find that taking prescription medication along with talk therapy helps them deal with anxiety and depression. Still, others are finding that alternative natural treatments like CBD oil have helped to effectively decrease some of the more difficult symptoms of anxiety and depression.
One of the main reasons why CBD oil works so well against anxiety and depression is that it interacts with the CB1 and CB2 receptors in the body’s natural endocannabinoid system, or EBS. The endocannabinoid system consists of a group of specialized cell receptors in the brain that help to regulate sleep, appetite, pain, pleasure, mood, and other functions. The endocannabinoid system will be discussed in more detail further down in our guide.
Our article, written in partnership with Cannabis Herald, takes a deep dive into anxiety and depression while also looking at ways that CBD oil can help calm and treat some of the issues that stem from the two conditions. We’re also presenting readers with our top seven picks for the best CBD oil brands for anxiety and depression.
Our Top 7 CBD Oils for Anxiety and Depression
After putting in hours of research, we found that these seven brands both met and exceeded our strict criteria for having the best, most potent, cleanest, and most effective CBD oils for anxiety and depression.
Factors We Took Into Consideration in Choosing the Best CBD Oils for Anxiety and Depression:
Before we could write this guide, we came up with a list of the most popular CBD brands in today’s market. As we searched these brands out, our list began to grow overwhelmingly long. We spent an incredible amount of time researching each brand individually by looking at:
- Verified customer reviews
- Hemp sources
- Independent third-party lab reports
- How long the brand has been in business
- CBD oil ingredients
- If independent lab reports were published and easy for customers to find on the brand’s website
- Published articles from niche CBD experts as well as respected CBD journalists
- Potency and purity of the CBD oil
- Brand reputation
- Product prices
Based on what we found through our research, we next began cutting down our list until we were left with a handful of brands that met our tough guidelines. Lastly, we further scrutinized these brands until we were left with our top seven brands for the best CBD oil for anxiety and depression.
What We Looked For in a CBD Brand:
As we were cutting down our list, we looked closely at each of the brand’s products for:
- Symptom relief. We felt it was important to examine how effective each brand’s CBD oil was at helping to treat the symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- How the hemp was sourced. We wanted our readers to know where the brand’s hemp came from and if that hemp was free of harmful herbicides, pesticides, and other dangerous chemicals.
- The brands’ processing facilities and whether they met strict FDA guidelines.
- Whether the company uses broad-spectrum, full-spectrum, or isolate extracts.
- The level of THC left in the products once they’ve been put out on the market.
- Whether or not the brand has its products routinely tested by a third-party laboratory for purity and potency, and if those results were made easy for customers to find on the brand’s website.
- The usage and dosage instructions the brand gives to its customers or places on its packages.
- The company’s reputation and overall verified customer reviews.
- Whether or not the company offered solid information about CBD such as what CBD is, how CBD works with the body, etc.
After looking at these guidelines, we were able to cut our list down quite a bit. Our final list of the best seven CBD oils for anxiety and depression can be found below.
7 Best CBD Oil for Anxiety & Depression [Reviews]
Since 2017, FAB CBD has been working hard to create clean, potent, and innovative CBD products. To that end, the brand’s mission has always been to craft high quality CBD products that will help everyone maintain a preventative wellness lifestyle. Everyone at FAB CBD has collectively had many years of experience through their work in the health, wellness, nutrition, and fitness industries. Every single one of the brand’s products is designed using the highest standards and practices and the very best ingredients.
FAB CBD crafts a line of full-spectrum oils in strengths of 300mg, 600mg, 1200mg, and 2400mg, and in fun and delicious flavors of citrus, berry, mint, natural, and vanilla. All of the brand’s products are made from the finest organic Colorado hemp that’s then converted into premium CBD extract using the industry preferred, clean CO2 extraction process. The final products are full-spectrum oils that are free from dangerous herbicides, pesticides, solvents, and other harmful chemicals, and that are rich in terpenes, cannabinoids, and other beneficial phytonutrients.
The brand also has a comprehensive line of CBD products that include Topical CBD Cream, CBD Body Salve, “Anytime” Daytime CBD Chews, “Nighttime” CBD PM Chews, Calm & Cool Crunchy CBD Dog Treats, and CBD-free Green Superfoods.
FAB CBD rises above the rest for best CBD oils for anxiety and depression in many ways:
- Versatility: FAB CBD offers customers a wide variety of products to help them treat anxiety and depression by offering full-spectrum oils in an array of strengths and flavors, a topical cream, a body salve, and CBD gummies. Customers can use one product, or can combine two products like CBD oil and topical cream to help tackle more than one issue at a time.
- Organic, Full-Spectrum Hemp: All of FAB CBD’s organic hemp is Colorado-grown and is cultivated using innovative growing, cloning, and extraction equipment and practices. The brand works hard to ensure that its customers get the very best and purest, most potent high-quality CBD products on today’s market.
- Third-Party Lab Testing: All of the brand’s products are routinely tested by ProVerde Labs, an independent third-party lab. Each product is tested for potency and purity, and then those lab reports are published on the FAB CBD website where customers can easily find them.
- Money-Back Guarantee: All customers can take advantage of FAB CBD’s 30-day, money-back guarantee should they need to. This also makes the brand the best option for first-time CBD buyers.
- FAB CBD’s full-spectrum oils come in an array of strengths and flavors, so customers can select an oil that best suits their overall health and wellness needs
- Top Rated CBD Oil for anxiety on Dmagazine
- Top-rated CBD Gummies with the addition of a brand-new line of CBD PM “Nighttime” Chews
- Warm and caring customer service
- Amazing variety of highly rated products
- Quick shipping
- CBD-free vegan superfood options
- Free shipping on all orders over $89
- FAB does not ship to the UK or Canada
- No autoship or subscription options are available to regular customers at this time
CBDistillery was started by a group of CBD-loving Colorado natives in 2016. The brand’s founders were not too fond of the fact that CBD was expensive and financially prohibitive for those who desperately needed it. They also were not happy with the fact that the CBD market was getting flooded with unreputable brands who sold poorly crafted products.
On CBDistillery’s website, you’ll see that the brand states that it’s one of the largest, affordable, and fastest-growing brands in today’s CBD industry. To that end, CBDistillery has been working to educate the world about CBD through its social media pages by talking about the “CBD Movement.”
- Clean Hemp Sources: All of the non-GMO hemp that CBDistillery uses is grown and harvested in Colorado.
- Third-Party Lab Testing: Like FAB CBD, CBDistillery also uses ProVerde Lab, an independent third-party laboratory, to routinely test all of its products. The brand then publishes those lab reports on each of its product pages.
- Certified Brand: CBDistillery is certified through the U.S. Hemp Authority Certification Program.
- The brand makes all of its third-party lab results easy for customers to locate on its website
- CBDistillery offers veterans, the disabled, and low-income individuals special cost-saving programs
- High-quality pure CBD isolate products
- The products are fairly affordable
- Full-spectrum oils are also offered as part of the brand’s product lineup
- CBDistillery has a unique product variety for customers to choose from
- Product packaging is not exciting or eye-catching
- Instead of using the clean, industry-preferred CO2 extraction process, CBDistillery opts to obtain their extracts using an ethanol extraction method
- Customers have lodged complaints over flimsy oil droppers
Laura Fuentes and Arby Barroso founded Green Roads in 2013 because Fuentes, a licensed compounding pharmacist, wanted to find a way to help Barroso naturally treat and heal his tough health issues. Fuentes and Barroso teamed up and began formulating CBD products at night and on the weekends while she worked full-time during the day.
Fuentes and Barroso soon partnered with Danny Perdeck and Jimmy Tundidor, and the new collaboration allowed CBDistillery to quickly sell its products in over 10,000 retail locations. The brand strives hard to uphold its mission to help everyone find the best and healthiest version of themselves through CBD supplementation.
- Educational Resources: Green Roads created “CBD University” on its website as a means to impart knowledge onto its customers about CBD.
- Customer Information: If you’re new to CBD, then you know that it can sometimes feel confusing and overwhelming. To help rectify this, Green Roads gives its customers a host of information about CBD on its website. The brand also offers customers a “Beginner’s Bundle” that includes a selection of it’s best selling products.
- Independent Laboratory Results: Green Roads publishes all of its lab reports on its website, as the brand strongly believes in being highly transparent with all of its customers.
- Large array of products to choose from
- Free shipping on orders over $100
- Affordable prices
- Discounts for veterans and first responders
- Third-party lab testing
- 30-day, money-back guarantee
- The taste of the brand’s oils are a bit on the stronger side, which can be off-putting to some people
- The brand does not offer any full-spectrum or CBD isolate products
- Some of the brand’s products, like its CBD gummies, are made using artificial colors and ingredients
- There is not much variety in the CBD drinks that the brand produces
Grandmother, humanitarian, mother, and Joy Organics Founder Joy Smith, religiously used CBD to help treat her difficult sleep issues as well as her other health problems. Smith started the brand because she found that the CBD products she was using simply weren’t strong enough. To that end, Joy Organics sells gummies, pet products, oils, topical salves, and hemp-infused energy drinks, among other items.
The brand crafts broad spectrum CBD oil tinctures that are free from THC. Joy Organic’s gluten-free oils are sourced from hemp farms that are regulated and that do not use herbicides, pesticides, or other harmful chemicals. The brand offers oils in a variety of flavors and in strengths of 250mg, 500mg, 1000mg, and 1500mg. As an added bonus, Joy Organics performs its own lab testing using in-house chemists and also an independent third-party lab. All lab reports are then published on the brand’s website where customers can easily find them.
- Broad-spectrum CBD: Joy Organics crafts broad spectrum products that do not contain any THC. Along with THC, the brand also removes wax, chlorophyll, and plant pigments in its purification process.
- CBD-Rich Strains: Joy Organics uses hemp sourced from CBD-rich hemp strains grown in the United States.
- Variety: Joy Organics’ CBD tincture flavors are derived from natural terpenes and essential oils.
- All of the brand’s products are tested in-house and by an independent third-party laboratory
- Joy Organics has a solid product variety
- The brand’s products are great for anyone who wants to use CBD products without any THC in them
- Customers can take advantage of the brand’s 30-day, money-back guarantee if they need to
- Joy Organics does not manufacture their products. Instead, the brand sources them out to Folium Biosciences
- The brand currently doesn’t ship to the United Kingdom
- Joy Organics does not offer full-spectrum products
- The tinctures only go up to 1500mg strength
Cheef Botanicals has a mission to educate the world about the healing power of the cannabinoids found in the hemp plant. The founders of Cheef Botanicals have been frustrated and dismayed at how the pharmaceutical industry has been misleading the public over the years. Because of this, they set out to spread the truth about the healing power of CBD and other natural alternatives.
The team at Cheef Botanicals believes that consuming naturally occurring superfoods can help decrease the risk of certain illnesses while promoting health and wellness. The brand’s founders seek to put a stop to the systemic imbalances caused by the modern-day pharmaceutical industry so that people can have balance, stability, and improved health and wellness. The brand offers CBD tinctures in strengths of 300mg, 600mg, 1200mg, and 3000mg.
- Strong Mission: The founders of Cheef Botanicals have a solid and admirable mission. The brand is run by a group of professionals who have deep experience in the food industry. Together, they’ve solidified the brand’s mission to help customers recognize the healing power of CBD and the dangers of the pharmaceutical industry.
- Clean Products: All of Cheef Botanicals products are cruelty-free, GMO-free, dairy free, gluten free, and all of the ingredients used to make the products are natural, clean, and wholesome.
- Independent Third-Party Lab Results: The brand uses an independent third-party lab to routinely test all of its products for purity and potency
- Wide array of products
- Organic Colorado- and Oregon-grown industrial hemp
- All-natural, vegan, GMO-free products
- Third-party lab testing
- Free shipping and 30-day, money-back guarantee
- Subscription option
- Uses CO2 extraction process
- Contradictory statements on the brand’s website
- Prices tend to be extremely high for concentrated products
NuLeaf Naturals was founded in 2014 by a group of plant medicine lovers. The brand gears itself towards creating top-quality CBD products that are all-natural, lab-tested, and organic. All of the brand’s industrial hemp is grown on licensed farms in Colorado. Everyone who works at NuLeaf Naturals is involved in the CBD process from seed to sale. In fact, the team oversees the hemp planting, growing, manufacturing, and subsequent sale of the final CBD oil product.
All of NuLeaf Naturals’ products are created from whole-plant extracts and do not contain anything synthetic. The brand uses the industry-preferred CO2 extraction process to obtain all of its clean and potent extracts. NuLeaf Naturals routinely tests all of its products, and those results are made available to customers upon their request. The brand’s CBD oils come in strengths of 240mg, 725mg, 1450mg, 2425mg, and 4850mg in 5ml, 15ml, 30ml, 50ml, and 200ml sized bottles.
- Clean Products: The brand sources all of its extracts from organic hemp that was grown in the United States using sustainable farming practices. All of NuLeaf Naturals’ products are free from additives and preservatives.
- Industry-Preferred Extraction Method: The brand uses the industry-preferred, clean CO2 extraction method to obtain all of it’s clean and potent extracts. In using this method, NuLeaf Naturals ensures to customers that no solvents or heat are added, which produces a highly potent blend of CBD, terpenes, and phytonutrients at the end of the process.
- Product Availability: The brand’s products are available across the United States and in 40 countries throughout the world.
- Customers enjoy the flavor of the brand’s CBD oil drops
- NuLeaf Naturals uses whole plant extracts
- The brand has a 30-day return policy
- There is no money-back guarantee
- There are no flavor options available aside from its natural flavor
- The lab tests are only available upon request
- The product selection is very limited
From the brand’s very beginning, Lazarus Naturals has been dedicated to making effective, high-quality, affordable CBD products. To that end, the brand strongly believes that all CBD products should be accessible to everyone regardless of their circumstances. The team as Lazarus Naturals focuses on consistency and sustainability.
Lazarus Naturals is involved in the creation of its CBD products from seed to sale. All of the brand’s hemp comes from central Oregon and is pesticide-free, non-Gmo, and USDA Certified Organic. Moreover, plant material from the brand’s farmland is thoroughly tested for heavy metals, pesticides, and potency levels. The brand crafts potent full-spectrum oils in a standard potency of 15mg of CBD per 1ml that comes in 15ml, 60ml, and 120ml bottles, a high potency of 50mg of CBD per 1ml that comes in 15ml, 60ml, and 120ml bottles, a French Vanilla Mocha High Potency Tincture, and a Chocolate Mint High Potency CBD Tincture. The brand also makes THC-free versions of its tinctures in High Potency varieties and in natural, Winter Mint, and Blood Orange flavors.
- Clean and Potent Products: Lazarus Naturals extracts all of the vital parts of the hemp plant using cryogenic ethanol. Those extracts are then thoroughly filtered to remove any impurities.
- Third-Party Testing: Every batch of the brand’s products undergoes testing by an independent third-party lab for residual solvents, heavy metals, pesticides, microbial impurities, and potency. Lazarus Naturals then makes those results easy for customers to find by having them click the “Test Results” tab on all of its product pages.
- Attention to Detail: Lazarus Naturals ensures that its manufacturing facilities are cGMP (current Good Manufacturing Practices) compliant. The brand also uses biodegradable and recycled materials for its packaging and personally fulfills each and every order.
- Hemp grown in the United States on the brand’s farms
- Pure and potent products
- Third-party lab testing
- 60% discount assistance program
- 90-day return policy
- Ethanol extraction method
- Every product is made using coconut oil
What is Anxiety?
According to Anxiety.org, anxiety is the body and mind’s way of reacting to stressful, dangerous, or unfamiliar situations. Under normal conditions, anxiety is useful because it helps us to stay alert and aware during dangerous circumstances. However, for people suffering with anxiety disorders, anxiety feels anything but normal. In fact, it can be downright debilitating. There are three main categories of anxiety-related disorders.
- Anxiety disorders: People diagnosed with this condition typically have an overabundance of fear that derives from an emotional response to a real or a perceived threat. This fear is typically also tied to anxiety.
- Obsessive-compulsive and related disorders: People who have this disorder have obsessive, intrusive thoughts that trigger compulsive behaviors. The behaviors are usually performed as a way to help calm down the anxiety that’s associated with their obsessive thoughts.
- Trauma- and stressor- related disorders: These types of disorders are related to a traumatic experience or a stressor.
Common Types of Anxiety Disorders
Even though there are three main categories of anxiety disorders, there are many different types that stem from them. Anxiety comes in different shapes and sizes, and can take on many forms. Some common types of anxiety disorders are:
- Phobia based, which means that a specific phobia will set off feelings of excessive fear and anxiety.
- Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD), where fear of social situations trigger severe anxiety.
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), a well-known trauma- and stressor-related disorder that derives from a deeply traumatic experience that triggers anxiety over time.
- General Anxiety Disorder (GAD), which occurs when someone experiences anxiety and worry over potential negative outcomes.
- Panic Disorder, that typically happens out of the blue because of persistent, lingering worry that panic symptoms will return, as well as a generalized fear of experiencing those panic symptoms.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCT), that causes people to experience repeated and persistent thoughts or obsessions that cause a great deal of distress. Those with OCT attempt to alleviate their anxiety by repeatedly performing certain actions.
- Other related categories of anxiety disorder that include separation anxiety disorder, selective mutism, agoraphobia, and disorders caused by substance abuse or other medical conditions.
Symptoms of Anxiety Disorder
Even though there are many varieties of anxiety disorders, some of the symptoms can be quite common among them all. There are, however, different symptoms that are specific to each type of anxiety disorder as well. According to the Mayo Clinic, some common anxiety signs and symptoms can include:
- Feeling restless, tense, and nervous
- Having feelings of impending danger, panic, or doom
- Increased heart rate
- Rapid breathing
- Feeling tired or weak
- Trouble concentrating or being present
- Sleep issues like insomnia
- Gastrointestinal problems like Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Having a hard time controlling feelings of worry
- Having the urge to avoid anxiety triggers
What Causes Anxiety?
For some people who suffer with anxiety, the disorder can be caused by underlying health issues. However, for some people, signs and symptoms of anxiety could indicate the beginnings of a medical condition. Medical issues that could be linked to anxiety include:
- Heart disease
- Thyroid issues
- Respiratory disorders
- Drug withdrawal or abuse
- Withdrawal from alcohol or prescription medications
- Chronic pain
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Extremely rare tumors that cause the body to produce fight-or-flight hormones
As stated earlier, the side effects of some prescription medications can also cause anxiety. For those with underlying medical conditions, anxiety can be caused if:
- Anxiety doesn’t run in your family
- You never had anxiety issues as a child
- You never steer clear of situations or things because of anxiety
- You have a sudden onset of anxiety that’s not related to difficult life events and you have no previous history of ever having had anxiety
Research on CBD and Anxiety
Serotonin is an important neurotransmitter that aids in the regulation of moods and the general proper functioning of mental health. Medical professionals and scientists believe that low serotonin levels can cause anxiety and depression.
Scientists today have proven that CBD oil can potentially decrease anxiety through regular use. Since all hemp-derived CBD products contain 0.3% or less THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, you can safely use full-spectrum CBD oils to help treat the symptoms of anxiety and depression without any worry about getting “high.”
Interestingly, a study conducted in 2019 discovered that CBD oil is better tolerated among individuals with anxiety over prescription anti-anxiety medications like benzodiazepines that can be dangerously addictive. That same study also showed that regular CBD use had great promise when it came to anxiety reduction in general.
If you’ve been thinking about trying CBD to help with anxiety, then a full-spectrum or broad spectrum oil are the best options. CBD oils are wonderful for anyone who has issues swallowing capsules, or who needs to stay away from gummies and other edibles due to a sugar sensitivity or diabetes. If the overall taste of CBD oil is causing you to feel a little reluctant, the great news is that many brands offer naturally infused flavored oil options. For example, FAB CBD’s full-spectrum oils come in smooth, bright, delicious flavors like vanilla, mint, berry, citrus, and natural.
CBD Oil vs CBD Gummies to Manage Anxiety
There are so many different options to choose from when it comes to CBD products for anxiety. However, it’s important to understand that there are different modes of absorption depending on which product you choose to go with. If you’re seeking a more immediate effect, then CBD oil is the best option to go with. When you hold the oil sublingually for 60 seconds, it enters into your bloodstream through the thin membranes under your tongue. Therefore, you will feel the benefits and effects of CBD fairly quickly. In fact, you should start to feel the effects of CBD oil in as little as 20 minutes.
If you opt to go with CBD gummies, you have to understand that before the CBD can enter into your bloodstream, the gummy first has to be broken down by your digestive system. Therefore, it will take longer for you to feel CBD’s effects and benefits. Furthermore, when the gummies pass through your digestive tract they lose some of their concentration before the CBD in them is finally absorbed into your bloodstream. Overall, it can take 30-90 minutes before you feel the effects from a CBD gummy.
If figuring out the best dosage for your anxiety has you stressed out, then CBD gummies are the perfect option because the dosage is preset, as each gummy has a specific amount of CBD in it. If you wish to use CBD oil, patience is key as it might take a little time for you to find the right dosage that works best for your body. At the end of the day, the choice of CBD oil vs CBD gummies really just comes down to preference, lifestyle, and your wellness needs and health goals.
How Does CBD Oil Help with Anxiety?
There are many amazing benefits associated with CBD. To that end, when it comes to taking CBD oil for anxiety, consistency is key. In order to get the most out of your CBD oil, you should take it around the same time each and every day in order for it to be effective. Likewise, you should also take CBD oil while having some food in your stomach.
Some of the great benefits that CBD oil has when it comes to helping with anxiety are:
- CBD can help the body regulate its response to stress.
- CBD can help to create an anti-anxiety effect by activating the hydroxytryptamine serotonin receptor.
- Scientific research shows that CBD can effectively help treat tough emotional disorders like anxiety, depression, general psychosis, and multiple sclerosis among others.
- Even though the research is still investigational, scientists are finding that CBD has a positive effect on Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), social anxiety disorder (SAD), panic attacks, depression, and anxiety.
Moreover, the results of additional studies have successfully shown that CBD can help improve the symptoms of depression and anxiety by lowering stress levels, boosting mood, and helping people to better handle everyday stressors.
While CBD will likely not completely cure anxiety or depression, it can help to improve these medical conditions and their symptoms. When you incorporate CBD into your daily natural supplement regimen, you’re taking one more step to improving the overall quality of your daily life.
The Workings of the Endocannabinoid System Explained
The body’s ECS, or endocannabinoid system is quite complex. It functions to regulate systems and workings in the body like sleep, appetite, memory, mood, digestion, reproduction, fertility, and many others. In order for this to happen, the ECS needs enzymes, receptors, and endocannabinoids to work together in order to create a state of homeostasis, or balance. When cannabinoids are taken into the body, they work with the body’s endocannabinoid system to help boost its functioning.
- Endocannabinoids, the body’s version of cannabinoids, are molecules that are made by the body to help keep it in a state of balance.
- The body has CB1 and CB2 receptors that cannabinoids and endocannabinoids bind to. They are located in the central nervous system and in the peripheral nervous system, respectively.
- After the cannabinoids and endocannabinoids perform their duties, the body sends in enzymes to break down endocannabinoids so that the body doesn’t come out of balance in the other direction.
Even though the endocannabinoid system is complex and additional studies need to be conducted on its workings, scientists can confirm that the ECS does help regulate:
- Chronic pain
- Motor control
- Mood – in particular anxiety and depression
- Skin and nerve health
- Reproductive health
- Muscle formation
- Liver function
- Bone growth and remodeling
- Cardiovascular functioning
Full-Spectrum Oils and the Endocannabinoid System
Full-spectrum CBD oils are highly beneficial to the body because they contain CBD, THC, and other cannabinoids, terpenes, and phytonutrients. In hemp-derived CBD products, there is less than 0.3% THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, therefore, there is no chance that you can get “high” from them. Products that are crafted from the marijuana plant, however, are illegal and contain a large amount of THC that will cause you to feel that familiar “high” when taken. If you have concerns about THC from hemp-derived CBD oils, however, then broad spectrum products are another option, as these have all of the same components that full-spectrum products do, but lack any THC. Depending on what system or function is out of balance, when you take a full-spectrum oil, THC enters into the body and binds with either the CB1 or CB2 receptors.
CBD is another one of the main cannabinoids in full-spectrum oils. Unlike THC, CBD will not cause any feelings of euphoria. Interestingly, scientists believe that CBD does not bind to the CB1 and CB2 receptors like THC does. Instead, they think that the cannabinoid compound works with the body’s endocannabinoid system to prevent the further breakdown of endocannabinoids before they’ve completed their job. The action of CBD within the ECS allows the body’s endocannabinoid system to have a much stronger effect on overall health and wellbeing.
How to Use CBD Oil for Anxiety
In order for CBD oil to be effective, it should be taken at the same time each day. Likewise, when you dispense the oil into your mouth, you should drop it under your tongue and hold it there for 60 seconds so that it can be best absorbed into the bloodstream through the thin mucus membranes under the tongue.
If you notice that you feel the most anxious first thing in the morning, then consider taking your CBD oil right when you wake up. Moreover, taking CBD oil before going to bed can also help you achieve a more restful and restorative sleep, as it has been proven to induce relaxation and a sense of calm. Since CBD oil enters into the bloodstream faster when taken under the tongue, you can expect to feel the effects in about 20-30 minutes. As stated earlier, consistency is key when it comes to using CBD oil for anxiety.
CBD Oil Dosage for Anxiety
Dosing for CBD oil, just like dosing for any other holistic supplement or prescription medication, is important. When you’re trying to figure out what the best dose of CBD oil is for your body, you need to remember that everyone’s body is different. Therefore, a dose that works best for you might not work that great for someone else. When you’re trying to figure out your best CBD oil dosage, patience is imperative.
When it comes to the strength of your CBD oil, lower strengths like 300mg or 600mg are great for maintaining general health and wellness. Strengths like 1200mg and 2400mg, however, work best for tougher health issues like anxiety and depression. For those just beginning to take CBD oil, starting low and going slow is a great rule of thumb to follow. For example, if you have opted to go with 600mg oil, then you would begin by taking half a dropper-full, or 10mg, once a day. Stay with this dose for about one week before checking in with yourself to see how your body is feeling. If after a week you feel that you need to increase your dose, go ahead and take half a dropper-full of CBD oil twice a day. This will equal 10mg twice a day, or 20mg of CBD oil a day. Once again, stay with this new dose for about a week before doing another self-check. Repeat this method until you’ve found the dose that works best for your anxiety or depression.
Keep in mind that over time, you may need to move up or down in oil strengths if adjusting the dose isn’t working for you. Just be patient. You will find the dose and the strength that works best for you. Furthermore, never worry that you’re taking too much CBD, as overdosing on it is not possible. As always, if you have questions or concerns, never hesitate to speak with your doctor or healthcare specialist as they can also guide you in the right direction.
Other Benefits of CBD Oil
Scientists have documented the fact that there are a wide array of health benefits associated with CBD oil. Some other benefits associated with CBD oil are that:
- It can help relieve pain — As we stated before, CBD works with the body’s endocannabinoid system to help reduce inflammation associated with chronic pain by positively impacting endocannabinoid receptor activity.
- It can help to reduce symptoms related to cancer — Studies show that CBD oil can help to reduce pain, nausea, and vomiting that stem from cancer treatment.
- It may help calm down acne — Recent scientific studies show that CBD oil may help to calm down inflammation from acne while also reducing excess oil production.
- It could lower blood pressure — Research shows that CBD oil can benefit heart health due to its ability to lower high blood pressure.
- It might have benefits for those with neurological disorders — Scientists believe that CBD’s ability to positively affect the endocannabinoid system can also ultimately lead to benefits for those with neurological disorders like epilepsy, Parkinson’s Disease, and multiple sclerosis.
Possible Side Effects
The great news is that CBD is agreeable with many different people. Scientific studies show that research participants reported minimal side effects from taking CBD oil. The most common side effects that were reported, however, were:
- Changes in appetite
A comprehensive review of 132 studies that took place in 2011 confirmed that not only does CBD have very few side effects, but it also doesn’t have any profound negative effects on how the body functions. That same study found that CBD didn’t have any negative effects on body temperature, motor functions, heart rate, blood pressure, and other vital bodily functions.
Even though there are mild side effects associated with CBD, if you are on prescription medication then you should consult with your prescribing physician before incorporating CBD into your everyday supplement regimen. One way to possibly sidestep or lower your risk of encountering possible side effects is to start using CBD by taking the smallest dose possible while still taking enough of the CBD oil that it will help you achieve relief from the symptoms of anxiety and depression.
CBD Oil and The Importance of the Grapefruit Warning
If your prescription medication has a grapefruit warning on the label, then you need to avoid using CBD while you’re on that medication. Grapefruit warnings on prescription medications warn you to not drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruits and other citrus fruits while taking that specific medication. The reason for this is that grapefruits can interfere with how the body metabolizes the medication, causing too much medication to enter into the bloodstream. This can potentially lead to an overdose over time.
To date, there are over 85 medications that have a negative interaction with grapefruit juice, grapefruits, and other citrus fruits. CBD oil shouldn’t be taken with medications that have a grapefruit warning because the CBD will also negatively interact with the way the body metabolizes the prescription medication. In essence, the CBD inhibits specific bodily enzymes that are responsible for how the body metabolizes certain medications. If you’ve been wanting to try CBD, but notice that you’ve got a Grapefruit Warning on the label of your prescription medication, then it’s best to first consult with your primary care doctor, pharmacist, or prescribing physician before incorporating CBD into your routine.
Some medications within the categories listed below typically come with a Grapefruit Warning:
- Blood thinners
- Cholesterol medications
- Pain medications
- Heart rhythm medications
- Blood pressure medications
- Prostate medications
- Gastrointestinal medications
- Anti-seizure medications
If a doctor has approved your use of CBD while on these medications, then you should take great care to pay attention to how you’re feeling and make note of any changes in the way your body feels while on the combination of your medication and the CBD oil.
Is CBD Legal?
Thanks to the 2018 Farm Bill, CBD that’s derived from hemp is legal across all 50 states. CBD is extracted from both the hemp and marijuana plants. However, CBD that comes from hemp has less than 0.3% THC, while CBD that’s extracted from marijuan has well over that amount. According to the 2018 Farm Bill, all hemp-derived CBD products must contain 0.3% or less THC.
Even though the Farm Bill makes hemp-derived CBD products legal, you should still research your state’s laws regarding CBD products. Moreover, if you’re planning on travelling and are thinking about taking your CBD products with you, then you should also look into both the laws of the states that you’ll be travelling through as well as those of your destination state.
Considerations Before Buying CBD Oil for Anxiety
While it’s great that there are so many brands and products to choose from in today’s CBD market, the reality is that not all brands and products are created equal. Even though our guide will help you find the best CBD oils for anxiety, we suggest that you still take the time to research other places where you can find CBD oil for sale online legally. Sadly, there are many brands out there that are selling inferior CBD oils to customers that are both illegal and also laden with dangerous chemicals like solvents, pesticides, herbicides, and other harmful and synthetic ingredients.
Before choosing a brand or CBD oil for Anxiety and Depression, you should look at:
- Where the hemp is sourced from. Hemp that’s grown in the United States is held to different standards and regulations than hemp that’s grown over in Europe.
- If the amount of THC in the CBD oil is at or below the legal limit of 0.3%.
- If the product is full-spectrum, broad spectrum, or a CBD isolate. Typically, full-spectrum CBD oils are the best option because you’ll be able to take full advantage of all the cannabinoids, terpenes, and phytonutrients that the hemp plant has to offer.
- Additional ingredients that the brand incorporates into its products. Sadly, some brands use artificial colors, flavorings, and other additives in their CBD oils or gummies. You should always purchase your CBD oil from a reputable brand that uses natural, clean, and organic ingredients to craft its products.
- Independent third-party lab test results. Brands that use independent labs to routinely test their products for purity and potency convey to customers that transparency is a top priority to them. Not only that, but the brand should also publish those lab results on its website where customers can easily find them.
Final Thoughts: What’s the Bottom Line?
If you’ve been struggling with anxiety or depression, CBD might be able to help you achieve quick and effective relief from those health issues without any of the potential negative side effects that prescription medications can cause. Another bonus is that CBD is safe, well-tolerated, non-addicting, and comes with very few mild side effects that include sleepiness, dizziness, nausea, low blood pressure, mood changes, and changes in appetite and weight.
If you’ve been struggling with anxiety and have been wanting to try CBD, then our top brand picks for the seven best CBD oils for anxiety are a fantastic place to begin your search. We’ve selected FAB CBD as our top choice because the brand’s CBD oils are potent, pure, effective, and highly rated among both customers and industry experts. Moreover, FAB CBD truly cares about the health, wellness, questions, and concerns of its customers, as is reflected in the brand’s warm and caring customer service department and stellar reputation. Even though FAB CBD is our top pick, our other six brands also rise to the top.
No matter which brand you decide to go with, you should still take some time to perform your own research into what CBD is and how it can best help you calm your anxiety. You may also find it helpful to dig deeper into our top seven brands as well. If you’re stuck on where to begin in your research, you can always start by looking closer into the brands we’ve presented to you in our guide. Lastly, if you’ve got questions or concerns about CBD and how it can help to alleviate your anxiety or depression, never hesitate to call your primary care physician or medical specialist.