More consumers are trying CBD as a safe, natural way to help treat anxiety and depression. Even though the market is flooded with a wealth of brands and products, they’re not all created equal. Our guide to the best CBD oil for anxiety will help remove the guesswork from your search and help guide you to some of the best brands in the industry.
Anxiety and depression have a large impact on people’s health all throughout the world. For years, prescription medication has been one of the main ways to treat these difficult mental health conditions. The good news is that times are changing. More people are looking to natural methods like CBD oil to help quell some of the issues that stem from anxiety and depression.
Despite the severity of the symptoms, anyone dealing with anxiety or depression can attest to how draining, scary, and frustrating it can feel at times. Thanks to the recent rise in popularity of CBD oil and CBD products, more people are seeking out natural treatments to treat and quell anxiety and depression.
Some long-time sufferers of anxiety and depression find that taking prescription medication along with talk therapy helps them deal with the conditions. Still, others are finding that alternative natural treatments like CBD oil have helped to effectively decrease some of the more difficult symptoms of anxiety and depression.
Our guide to the best CBD oil for anxiety takes a deep dive into anxiety, stress, and depression and also looks at ways that CBD oil can help calm and treat some of the issues that stem from these conditions. We’ll also give you our top 10 picks for the best CBD oil brands whose products are the most effective against anxiety, stress, and depression.
Top 10 CBD Oils Brands for Anxiety, Stress, and Depression
After putting in hours of research, we found that these seven brands both met and exceeded our strict criteria for having the best, most potent, cleanest, and most effective CBD oils for anxiety and depression.
- FAB CBD — Editor’s Pick & Best Quality
- NuLeaf Naturals — Most Potent Full-Spectrum
- Batch CBD — Innovative Products
- Premium Jane — Strong Product Selection
- MedTerra — High Quality Products
- Green Roads — Large Product Variety
- Joy Organics — CBD-Rich Oils
- PlusCBD — Diverse Product Line
- Populum — Premium CBD Line
- Seabedee — Interesting Flavor Options
Factors We Took Into Consideration in Choosing the Best CBD Oils for Anxiety and Depression:
Before we could write this guide, we came up with a list of the most popular CBD brands in the industry. We spent an incredible amount of time researching each brand individually by looking at:
- Verified customer reviews
- Hemp sources
- Independent third-party lab reports
- CBD oil ingredients
- Strength and variety of the CBD oil
- Brand reputation
Based on what we found through our research, we cut down our list until we were left our top 10 brands for the best CBD oil for anxiety, stress, and depression.
10 Best CBD Oil for Anxiety, Stress, and Depression in 2022
Our top 10 best CBD oils for anxiety, stress, and depression are some of the most potent, effective, and cleanest products in the industry. Moreover, the brands that produce these oils are highly reputable and trusted among both customers and those in the industry.
Since 2017, FAB CBD has been working hard to create clean, potent, and innovative CBD products. To that end, the brand’s mission has always been to craft high quality CBD products that will help everyone maintain a preventative wellness lifestyle. Everyone at FAB CBD has collectively had many years of experience through their work in the health, wellness, nutrition, and fitness industries. Every single one of the brand’s products is designed using the highest standards and practices and the very best ingredients.
FAB CBD crafts a line of full-spectrum oils in strengths of 300mg, 600mg, 1200mg, and 2400mg, and in fun and delicious flavors of citrus, berry, mint, natural, and vanilla. All of the brand’s products are made from the finest organic Colorado hemp that’s then converted into premium CBD extract using the industry preferred, clean CO2 extraction process. The final products are full-spectrum oils that are free from dangerous herbicides, pesticides, solvents, and other harmful chemicals, and that are rich in terpenes, cannabinoids, and other beneficial phytonutrients.
The brand also has a comprehensive line of CBD products that include Topical CBD Cream, Full Spectrum CBD Body Salve, “Anytime” CBD Chews, “Nighttime” CBD Chews, Calm & Cool Crunchy CBD Dog Treats, Complete Cannabinoid Softgels, CBD+CBG Oil, and CBD-free Green Superfoods.
- Versatile line of products
- Products made using organic Colorado hemp
- Third-party lab testing
- Thirty-day, money-back guarantee
- Full-spectrum oils in an array of strengths and flavors
- Warm and caring customer service
- Amazing variety of highly-rated products
- Quick shipping
- FAB does not ship internationally
NuLeaf Naturals was founded in 2014 by a group of plant medicine lovers. The brand gears itself towards creating top-quality CBD products that are all-natural, lab-tested, and organic. All of the brand’s industrial hemp is grown on licensed farms in Colorado. Everyone who works at NuLeaf Naturals is involved in the CBD process from seed to sale. In fact, the team oversees the hemp planting, growing, manufacturing, and subsequent sale of the final CBD oil product.
All of NuLeaf Naturals’ products are created from whole-plant extracts and do not contain anything synthetic. The brand uses the industry-preferred CO2 extraction process to obtain all of its clean and potent extracts. NuLeaf Naturals routinely tests all of its products, and those results are made available to customers upon their request. The brand’s CBD oils come in strengths of 300mg, 900mg, 1800mg, 3000mg, and 6000mg strengths.
- Clean products
- Industry-preferred CO2 extraction method
- Large selection of oil potencies
- Customers enjoy the flavor of the brand’s CBD oil drops
- NuLeaf Naturals uses whole plant extracts
- The brand has a 30-day return policy
- There is no money-back guarantee
- There are no flavor options available aside from natural flavor
- The product selection is limited
Batch CBD, located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, uses science, innovation, organic hemp, and functional botanical ingredients to carefully craft its pure and potent products. The founders of Batch CBD were born and raised in Wisconsin and hold combined degrees in chemical engineering and business. As a way to make customers aware of the brand’s strong belief in transparency, a tour of Batch’s Laboratories can be booked by calling and scheduling the appointment. Because the brand seeks to make the cleanest and most potent products possible, the Batch team leans on science and ingenuity over a lengthy list of product ingredients.
Batch CBD creates full-spectrum CBD oil in blends that include Dream CBD Oil Tincture, Calm CBD Oil Tincture, Gold Reserve Blend, Original CBD Oil Tincture, and Clarity CBD Oil Tincture. The Dream CBD Oil, Clarity CBD Oil, and Calm CBD Oil tinctures come in strengths of 1000mg and 3000mg, the Gold Reserve comes in 4000mg strength, and the brand’s Original CBD Oil Tincture comes in 500mg, 1000mg, 2000mg, and 3000mg potencies.
- Organic hemp from Wisconsin
- Pure and effective full-spectrum products
- Custom ethanol extraction process
- All products are tested by an accredited independent lab
- Wisconsin-based brand
- Potent and clean products
- Third-party lab reports are difficult to find on the brand’s website
- CBD oils only come in natural flavor
Premium Jane, located in Arizona, works to educate consumers about the benefits of CBD. Along with education, the brand crafts a line of organic, clean, and affordable products that customers enjoy. Premium Jane employs experts that include chemists, biologists, farmers, and marketing developers to ensure that its product line is pure and always evolving. To that end, the brand uses high-quality materials, passion, and know-how to carefully create its line of potent and effective products.
Premium Jane crafts full-spectrum CBD tinctures in 300mg, 600mg, 1000mg, 3000mg, and 5000mg strengths and in Natural, Mint, Mint Chocolate, CItrus, Lemon Lime, and Peach Nectar flavors.
- Kentucky-grown hemp
- Full-spectrum CBD tinctures in three strengths and solid variety of natural flavors
- CO2 extraction method
- All products are tested by a third-party lab
- Nice array of flavor options for the CBD oils
- Limited CBD oil potency options
A group of friends and CBD lovers joined up and founded MedTerra through their strong belief in the benefits of the cannabis plant. Today, the MedTerra team still pushes the envelope to make sure products are affordable to everyone. The MedTerra team is involved in the product creation process from seed to sale because they believe in being accountable for what is produced. Lastly, the brand employs a team of experts with expertise in vegetable genetics, quality control, food-grade compound extraction, and best hemp farming practices.
MedTerra offers full-spectrum CBD oil Hemp Drops in strengths of 750mg, 1500mg, 3000mg and 6000mg in flavors of Citrus and Chocolate Mint and CBD Isolate Oil in strengths of 500mg, 1000mg, 3000mg, and 6000mg in natural flavor, Ultra Broad Spectrum CBD Oil in 1000mg and 2000mg strengths and in flavors of Citrus, Strawberry Mint, and Unflavored, and 750mg Immune Boost CBD Oil.
- Non-GMO hemp from Kentucky
- Full-spectrum oils in a wide range of strengths
- CO2 extraction method
- All products are tested by a third-party lab
- Wide variety of CBD oil strengths
- Offers international shipping
- Rewards and assistance programs
- Limited flavor options
Laura Fuentes and Arby Barroso founded Green Roads in 2013 because Fuentes, a licensed compounding pharmacist, wanted to find a way to help Barroso naturally treat and heal his tough health issues. Fuentes and Barroso teamed up and began formulating CBD products at night and on the weekends while she worked full-time during the day.
Green Roads offers full-spectrum and broad spectrum CBD oils in strengths of 300mg, 750mg, and 1500mg in flavors like Apple Kiwi Bliss, Mint Breeze, and unflavored. The brand also makes a 25mg strength single serving Daily Dose CBD oil and Sweet Sleep CBD Nightly Dose. The Sweet Sleep CBD Oil is also available in 375mg and 750mg strength.
- Partnership with hemp farms across the United States
- Full-spectrum, broad spectrum, and CBD isolate products in many potency and flavors
- CO2 extraction method
- All products tested by an independent third-party lab
- Large array of products
- Free shipping on orders over $100
- Discounts for veterans and first responders
- 30-day, money-back guarantee
- Does not offer full-spectrum or CBD isolate products
- Some products are made using artificial colors and ingredients
Grandmother, humanitarian, mother, and Joy Organics Founder Joy Smith, religiously used CBD to help treat her difficult sleep issues as well as her other health problems. Smith started the brand because she found that the CBD products she was using simply weren’t strong enough. To that end, Joy Organics sells gummies, pet products, oils, topical salves, and hemp-infused energy drinks, among other items. As an added bonus, Joy Organics performs its own lab testing using in-house chemists and also an independent third-party lab. All lab reports are then published on the brand’s website where customers can easily find them.
The brand crafts broad spectrum CBD oil tinctures that are free from THC as well as full-spectrum tinctures in a host of flavors. Joy Organic’s gluten-free oils are sourced from hemp farms that are regulated and that do not use herbicides, pesticides, or other harmful chemicals. The brand offers oils in a variety of flavors and in strengths. Joy Organics makes Tranquil Mint: Organic Broad Spectrum CBD Tincture in 900mg, 450mg, 1350mg, and 2250mg, Fresh Lime or Tropical Sunrise Organic Full Spectrum CBD Tincture with THC in 900mg, 450mg, 1350mg, and 2250mg, Summer Lemon or Orange Bliss Organic Broad Spectrum CBD Tincture in 900mg, 450mg, and 1350mg, Unflavored: Organic Full Spectrum CBD Tincture with THC in 900mg, 1350mg, and 2250mg, and Unflavored: Organic Broad Spectrum CBD Tincture in 450mg, 900mg, 1350mg, and 2250mg.
- Broad spectrum and full-spectrum CBD oil options
- CBD-Rich Strains
- Strong product variety
- All products tested in-house and by an independent third-party laboratory
- Solid product variety
- 30-day, money-back guarantee
- Joy Organics does not manufacture their products. Instead, the brand sources them out to Folium Biosciences
- The brand currently doesn’t ship to the United Kingdom
- Joy Organics does not offer full-spectrum products
- The tinctures only go up to 1500mg strength
Since 2012, PlusCBD has focused its efforts on bettering the health of its customers. The staff at PlusCBD believes in transparency, the benefits of CBD, and in crafting affordable, potent CBD products. The brand’s founders have a staunch belief in the importance of mental and physical health. Because of this, the team at PlusCBD focuses on creating products that help support the wellness of their customers. PlusCBD values trust, caring and knowledgeable customer service, transparency, integrity, and creating natural, science-backed products.
PlusCBD makes full-spectrum CBD Drops in Peppermint and Unflavored. The oils come in either Extra Strength or Maximum Strength and in potencies of 250mg, 750mg, or 1500mg.
- European Agricultural hemp
- Full-spectrum CBD oils in a solid array of strengths and flavors
- CO2 extraction process
- Third-party lab testing
- Solid line of full-spectrum oils in a strong selection of flavors and potencies
- Doesn’t offer detailed information on where the hemp sourced in Europe
Populum has been creating potent and pure CBD oil ethically and honestly since 2016. All of the brand’s products are made in the USA, are affordable, effective, and crafted using a special hemp extract formulation. All of the brand’s products are non-GMO, vegan, and gluten free.
Populum makes full-spectrum Hemp CBD Oil in 250mg, 500mg, 1000mg, and 2000mg strengths that come in a natural orange flavor and unflavored options.
- Non-GMO hemp from Colorado
- Full-spectrum Hemp CBD Oil in a solid array of potencies in one flavor
- Ethanol extraction process
- Each product is tested three times by a third-party lab
- Populum triple tests all of its products with a third-party lab
- Free shipping on all orders
- Only offers oils in natural orange flavor
Seabedee aims to help heal its customers naturally through its high-quality CBD products. The brand’s mission is to make top-shelf CBD products that customers have faith in. Seabedee makes broad and full-spectrum oils as well as oils that are geared towards various health issues. Customers can choose oils that help to treat anxiety, inflammation, and sleep issues like
Seabedee makes full-Spectrum CBD oils targeted towards specific health issues that include Extra Strength Full-Spectrum CBD Oil in 1500mg or 3000mg strengths in vanilla or peppermint flavors, unflavored CBD Calming Blend in 500mg strength, unflavored CBD Recover Blend in 500mg strength, and unflavored Sleep Blend in 500mg strength.
- Organic hemp from Oregon and Kentucky farms
- Full-Spectrum and Extra Strength Full-Spectrum oils in a variety of potencies and flavors
- CO2 extraction process
- All products are tested by an independent third-party lab
- General full-spectrum oils
- Extra strength full-spectrum oils
- Specialty CBD oils geared towards specific health issues like sleep, inflammation, and stress.
- There’s only one potency choice for Seabedee’s condition-specific CBD oil blends.
What is Anxiety?
According to Anxiety.org, anxiety is the body and mind’s way of reacting to stressful, dangerous, or unfamiliar situations. Under normal conditions, anxiety is useful because it helps us to stay alert and aware during dangerous circumstances. However, for people suffering with anxiety disorders, anxiety feels anything but normal. In fact, it can be downright debilitating. There are three main categories of anxiety-related disorders.
- Anxiety disorders: People diagnosed with this condition typically have an overabundance of fear that derives from an emotional response to a real or a perceived threat. This fear is typically also tied to anxiety.
- Obsessive-compulsive and related disorders: People who have this disorder have obsessive, intrusive thoughts that trigger compulsive behaviors. The behaviors are usually performed as a way to help calm down the anxiety that’s associated with their obsessive thoughts.
- Trauma- and stressor- related disorders: These types of disorders are related to a traumatic experience or a stressor.
Common Types of Anxiety Disorders
Even though there are three main categories of anxiety disorders, there are many different types that stem from them. Anxiety comes in different shapes and sizes, and can take on many forms. Some common types of anxiety disorders are:
- Phobia based, which means that a specific phobia will set off feelings of excessive fear and anxiety.
- Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD), where fear of social situations trigger severe anxiety.
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), a well-known trauma- and stressor-related disorder that derives from a deeply traumatic experience that triggers anxiety over time.
- General Anxiety Disorder (GAD), which occurs when someone experiences anxiety and worry over potential negative outcomes.
- Panic Disorder, that typically happens out of the blue because of persistent, lingering worry that panic symptoms will return, as well as a generalized fear of experiencing those panic symptoms.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCT), that causes people to experience repeated and persistent thoughts or obsessions that cause a great deal of distress. Those with OCT attempt to alleviate their anxiety by repeatedly performing certain actions.
- Other related categories of anxiety disorder that include separation anxiety disorder, selective mutism, agoraphobia, and disorders caused by substance abuse or other medical conditions.
Causes and Symptoms of Anxiety Disorder
Even though there are many varieties of anxiety disorders, some of the symptoms can be quite common among them all. There are, however, different symptoms that are specific to each type of anxiety disorder as well. According to the Mayo Clinic, some common anxiety signs and symptoms can include:
- Feeling restless, tense, and nervous
- Having feelings of impending danger, panic, or doom
- Increased heart rate
- Rapid breathing
- Feeling tired or weak
- Trouble concentrating or being present
- Sleep issues like insomnia
- Gastrointestinal problems like Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Having a hard time controlling feelings of worry
- Having the urge to avoid anxiety triggers
What Causes Anxiety?
For some people who suffer with anxiety, the disorder can be caused by underlying health issues. However, for some people, signs and symptoms of anxiety could indicate the beginnings of a medical condition. Medical issues that could be linked to anxiety include:
- Heart disease
- Thyroid issues
- Respiratory disorders
- Drug withdrawal or abuse
- Withdrawal from alcohol or prescription medications
- Chronic pain
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Extremely rare tumors that cause the body to produce fight-or-flight hormones
As stated earlier, the side effects of some prescription medications can also cause anxiety. For those with underlying medical conditions, anxiety can be caused if:
- Anxiety doesn’t run in your family
- You never had anxiety issues as a child
- You never steer clear of situations or things because of anxiety
- You have a sudden onset of anxiety that’s not related to difficult life events and you have no previous history of ever having had anxiety
CBD and Anxiety: What Does the Research Say?
Serotonin is an important neurotransmitter that aids in the regulation of moods and the general proper functioning of mental health. Medical professionals and scientists believe that low serotonin levels can cause anxiety and depression.
Scientists today have proven that CBD oil can potentially decrease anxiety through regular use. Since all hemp-derived CBD products contain 0.3% or less THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, you can safely use full-spectrum CBD oils to help treat the symptoms of anxiety and depression without any worry about getting “high.”
Interestingly, a study conducted in 2019 discovered that CBD oil is better tolerated among individuals with anxiety over prescription anti-anxiety medications like benzodiazepines that can be dangerously addictive. That same study also showed that regular CBD use had great promise when it came to anxiety reduction in general.
If you’ve been thinking about trying CBD to help with anxiety, then a full-spectrum or broad spectrum oil are the best options. CBD oils are wonderful for anyone who has issues swallowing capsules, or who needs to stay away from gummies and other edibles due to a sugar sensitivity or diabetes. If the overall taste of CBD oil is causing you to feel a little reluctant, the great news is that many brands offer naturally infused flavored oil options. For example, FAB CBD’s full-spectrum oils come in smooth, bright, delicious flavors like vanilla, mint, berry, citrus, and natural.
How Does CBD Oil Help with Anxiety, Stress, and Depression?
There are many amazing benefits associated with CBD. To that end, when it comes to taking CBD oil for anxiety, consistency is key. In order to get the most out of your CBD oil, you should take it around the same time each and every day in order for it to be effective. Likewise, you should also take CBD oil while having some food in your stomach.
Some of the great benefits that CBD oil has when it comes to helping with anxiety are:
- CBD can help the body regulate its response to stress.
- CBD can help to create an anti-anxiety effect by activating the hydroxytryptamine serotonin receptor.
- Scientific research shows that CBD can effectively help treat tough emotional disorders like anxiety, depression, general psychosis, and multiple sclerosis among others.
- Even though the research is still investigational, scientists are finding that CBD has a positive effect on Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), social anxiety disorder (SAD), panic attacks, depression, and anxiety.
Moreover, the results of additional studies have successfully shown that CBD can help improve the symptoms of depression and anxiety by lowering stress levels, boosting mood, and helping people to better handle everyday stressors.
While CBD will likely not completely cure anxiety or depression, it can help to improve these medical conditions and their symptoms. When you incorporate CBD into your daily natural supplement regimen, you’re taking one more step to improving the overall quality of your daily life.
The Workings of the Endocannabinoid System Explained
The body’s ECS, or endocannabinoid system is quite complex. It functions to regulate systems and workings in the body like sleep, appetite, memory, mood, digestion, reproduction, fertility, and many others. In order for this to happen, the ECS needs enzymes, receptors, and endocannabinoids to work together in order to create a state of homeostasis, or balance. When cannabinoids are taken into the body, they work with the body’s endocannabinoid system to help boost its functioning.
- Endocannabinoids, the body’s version of cannabinoids, are molecules that are made by the body to help keep it in a state of balance.
- The body has CB1 and CB2 receptors that cannabinoids and endocannabinoids bind to. They are located in the central nervous system and in the peripheral nervous system, respectively.
- After the cannabinoids and endocannabinoids perform their duties, the body sends in enzymes to break down endocannabinoids so that the body doesn’t come out of balance in the other direction.
Even though the endocannabinoid system is complex and additional studies need to be conducted on its workings, scientists can confirm that the ECS does help regulate:
- Chronic pain
- Motor control
- Mood – in particular anxiety and depression
- Skin and nerve health
- Reproductive health
- Muscle formation
- Liver function
- Bone growth and remodeling
- Cardiovascular functioning
Full-Spectrum Oils and the Endocannabinoid System
Full-spectrum CBD oils are highly beneficial to the body because they contain CBD, THC, and other cannabinoids, terpenes, and phytonutrients. In hemp-derived CBD products, there is less than 0.3% THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, therefore, there is no chance that you can get “high” from them. Products that are crafted from the marijuana plant, however, are illegal and contain a large amount of THC that will cause you to feel that familiar “high” when taken. If you have concerns about THC from hemp-derived CBD oils, however, then broad spectrum products are another option, as these have all of the same components that full-spectrum products do, but lack any THC. Depending on what system or function is out of balance, when you take a full-spectrum oil, THC enters into the body and binds with either the CB1 or CB2 receptors.
CBD is another one of the main cannabinoids in full-spectrum oils. Unlike THC, CBD will not cause any feelings of euphoria. Interestingly, scientists believe that CBD does not bind to the CB1 and CB2 receptors like THC does. Instead, they think that the cannabinoid compound works with the body’s endocannabinoid system to prevent the further breakdown of endocannabinoids before they’ve completed their job. The action of CBD within the ECS allows the body’s endocannabinoid system to have a much stronger effect on overall health and wellbeing.
Types of CBD Oils and the Endocannabinoid System
As we stated earlier, full-spectrum CBD oils fully engage with the endocannabinoid system. Broad spectrum oils function very much like full-spectrum oils except for the fact that the THC in this oil variety has been filtered out. So while there’s no THC to work with the body’s ECS, there are still a number of other cannabinoids in broad spectrum oils that positively impact the endocannabinoid system. Lastly, because all of the terpenes, phytonutrients, and cannabinoids have been filtered out of CBD isolate oils through a special process, only 99% pure CBD remains. So even though there aren’t any other cannabinoids left to interact with the ECS, it’s possible that the pure CBD in isolate oils may still work with it in some way. However, if you want your endocannabinoid system to get the most benefits out of CBD, then you should opt for either full-spectrum or broad spectrum CBD oils.
CBD Oil vs CBD Gummies: Which is Better for Anxiety?
There are so many different options to choose from when it comes to CBD products for anxiety. However, it’s important to understand that there are different modes of absorption depending on which product you choose to go with. If you’re seeking a more immediate effect, then CBD oil is the best option to go with. When you hold the oil sublingually for 60 seconds, it enters into your bloodstream through the thin membranes under your tongue. Therefore, you will feel the benefits and effects of CBD fairly quickly. In fact, you should start to feel the effects of CBD oil in as little as 20 minutes.
If you opt to go with CBD gummies, you have to understand that before the CBD can enter into your bloodstream, the gummy first has to be broken down by your digestive system. Therefore, it will take longer for you to feel CBD’s effects and benefits. Furthermore, when the gummies pass through your digestive tract they lose some of their concentration before the CBD in them is finally absorbed into your bloodstream. Overall, it can take 30-90 minutes before you feel the effects from a CBD gummy.
If figuring out the best dosage for your anxiety has you stressed out, then CBD gummies are the perfect option because the dosage is preset, as each gummy has a specific amount of CBD in it. If you wish to use CBD oil, patience is key as it might take a little time for you to find the right dosage that works best for your body. At the end of the day, the choice of CBD oil vs CBD gummies really just comes down to preference, lifestyle, and your wellness needs and health goals.
How to Take CBD Oil for Anxiety
In order for CBD oil to be effective, it should be taken at the same time each day. Likewise, when you dispense the oil into your mouth, you should drop it under your tongue and hold it there for 60 seconds so that it can be best absorbed into the bloodstream through the thin mucus membranes under the tongue.
If you notice that you feel the most anxious first thing in the morning, then consider taking your CBD oil right when you wake up. Moreover, taking CBD oil before going to bed can also help you achieve a more restful and restorative sleep, as it has been proven to induce relaxation and a sense of calm. Since CBD oil enters into the bloodstream faster when taken under the tongue, you can expect to feel the effects in about 20-30 minutes. As stated earlier, consistency is key when it comes to using CBD oil for anxiety.
CBD Oil Dosage to Manage Anxiety, Stress, and Depression
Dosing for CBD oil, just like dosing for any other holistic supplement or prescription medication, is important. When you’re trying to figure out what the best dose of CBD oil is for your body, you need to remember that everyone’s body is different. Therefore, a dose that works best for you might not work that great for someone else. When you’re trying to figure out your best CBD oil dosage, patience is imperative.
When it comes to the strength of your CBD oil, lower strengths like 300mg or 600mg are great for maintaining general health and wellness. Strengths like 1200mg and 2400mg, however, work best for tougher health issues like anxiety and depression. For those just beginning to take CBD oil, starting low and going slow is a great rule of thumb to follow. For example, if you have opted to go with 600mg oil, then you would begin by taking half a dropper-full, or 10mg, once a day. Stay with this dose for about one week before checking in with yourself to see how your body is feeling. If after a week you feel that you need to increase your dose, go ahead and take half a dropper-full of CBD oil twice a day. This will equal 10mg twice a day, or 20mg of CBD oil a day. Once again, stay with this new dose for about a week before doing another self-check. Repeat this method until you’ve found the dose that works best for your anxiety or depression.
Keep in mind that over time, you may need to move up or down in oil strengths if adjusting the dose isn’t working for you. Just be patient. You will find the dose and the strength that works best for you. Furthermore, never worry that you’re taking too much CBD, as overdosing on it is not possible. As always, if you have questions or concerns, never hesitate to speak with your doctor or healthcare specialist as they can also guide you in the right direction.
Other Benefits of CBD Oil
Scientists have documented the fact that there are a wide array of health benefits associated with CBD oil. Some other benefits associated with CBD oil are that:
- It can help relieve pain — As we stated before, CBD works with the body’s endocannabinoid system to help reduce inflammation associated with chronic pain by positively impacting endocannabinoid receptor activity.
- It can help reduce and relieve arthritis pain and its symptoms— When CBD is taken into the body, the cannabinoids work to help either prevent or cause the release of special neurotransmitters that regulate the body’s inflammatory response. CBD oil helps ease arthritis pain in muscles and joints by calming the pain responses sent out by the central nervous system. Additionally, CBD cream can be applied topically on the skin so that it can work its way into achy muscles and joints to help calm and decrease arthritis pain and soreness.
- It can help to reduce symptoms related to cancer — Studies show that CBD oil can help to reduce pain, nausea, and vomiting that stem from cancer treatment.
- It may help calm down acne — Recent scientific studies show that CBD oil may help to calm down inflammation from acne while also reducing excess oil production.
- It could lower blood pressure — Research shows that CBD oil can benefit heart health due to its ability to lower high blood pressure.
- It might have benefits for those with neurological disorders — Scientists believe that CBD’s ability to positively affect the endocannabinoid system can also ultimately lead to benefits for those with neurological disorders like epilepsy, Parkinson’s Disease, and multiple sclerosis.
Possible Risks and Side Effects
The great news is that CBD is agreeable with many different people. Scientific studies show that research participants reported minimal side effects from taking CBD oil. The most common side effects that were reported, however, were:
- Changes in appetite
A comprehensive review of 132 studies that took place in 2011 confirmed that not only does CBD have very few side effects, but it also doesn’t have any profound negative effects on how the body functions. That same study found that CBD didn’t have any negative effects on body temperature, motor functions, heart rate, blood pressure, and other vital bodily functions.
Even though there are mild side effects associated with CBD, if you are on prescription medication then you should consult with your prescribing physician before incorporating CBD into your everyday supplement regimen. One way to possibly sidestep or lower your risk of encountering possible side effects is to start using CBD by taking the smallest dose possible while still taking enough of the CBD oil that it will help you achieve relief from the symptoms of anxiety and depression.
CBD Oil and The Importance of the Grapefruit Warning
If your prescription medication has a grapefruit warning on the label, then you need to avoid using CBD while you’re on that medication. Grapefruit warnings on prescription medications warn you to not drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruits and other citrus fruits while taking that specific medication. The reason for this is that grapefruits can interfere with how the body metabolizes the medication, causing too much medication to enter into the bloodstream. This can potentially lead to an overdose over time.
To date, there are over 85 medications that have a negative interaction with grapefruit juice, grapefruits, and other citrus fruits. CBD oil shouldn’t be taken with medications that have a grapefruit warning because the CBD will also negatively interact with the way the body metabolizes the prescription medication. In essence, the CBD inhibits specific bodily enzymes that are responsible for how the body metabolizes certain medications. If you’ve been wanting to try CBD, but notice that you’ve got a Grapefruit Warning on the label of your prescription medication, then it’s best to first consult with your primary care doctor, pharmacist, or prescribing physician before incorporating CBD into your routine.
Some medications within the categories listed below typically come with a Grapefruit Warning:
- Blood thinners
- Cholesterol medications
- Pain medications
- Heart rhythm medications
- Blood pressure medications
- Prostate medications
- Gastrointestinal medications
- Anti-seizure medications
If a doctor has approved your use of CBD while on these medications, then you should take great care to pay attention to how you’re feeling and make note of any changes in the way your body feels while on the combination of your medication and the CBD oil.
What to Look for Before Buying CBD Oil for Anxiety
While it’s great that there are so many brands and products to choose from in today’s CBD market, the reality is that not all brands and products are created equal. Even though our guide will help you find the best CBD oils for anxiety, we suggest that you still take the time to research other places where you can find CBD oil for sale online legally. Sadly, there are many brands out there that are selling inferior CBD oils to customers that are both illegal and also laden with dangerous chemicals like solvents, pesticides, herbicides, and other harmful and synthetic ingredients.
Before choosing a brand or CBD oil for Anxiety and Depression, you should look at:
- Where the hemp is sourced from. Hemp that’s grown in the United States is held to different standards and regulations than hemp that’s grown over in Europe.
- If the amount of THC in the CBD oil is at or below the legal limit of 0.3%.
- If the product is full-spectrum, broad spectrum, or a CBD isolate. Typically, full-spectrum CBD oils are the best option because you’ll be able to take full advantage of all the cannabinoids, terpenes, and phytonutrients that the hemp plant has to offer.
- Additional ingredients that the brand incorporates into its products. Sadly, some brands use artificial colors, flavorings, and other additives in their CBD oils or gummies. You should always purchase your CBD oil from a reputable brand that uses natural, clean, and organic ingredients to craft its products.
- Independent third-party lab test results. Brands that use independent labs to routinely test their products for purity and potency convey to customers that transparency is a top priority to them. Not only that, but the brand should also publish those lab results on its website where customers can easily find them.
Below are some common questions that consumers have regarding CBD oil and CBD in general. Of course, if you don’t see an answer to one of your questions, then you shouldn’t hesitate to do some research of your own to get the answers that you seek.
Is CBD legal?
Thanks to the 2018 Farm Bill, hemp-based is legal across all 50 states, providing it contains 0.3% or less THC. Marijuana-derived CBD products contain well over that amount and are only legal in states with medicinal and/or recreational marijuana laws in effect.
Can I get high from CBD oil?
Because hemp-derived CBD contains 0.3% or less THC, there’s no possible way that you could get “high” from using CBD oils made from hemp. You can get “high” from using CBD oil that’s made from marijuana.
How should I use CBD oil?
If you’re just starting out using CBD oil, then you should begin by taking a low dose and then increasing it slowly over time. Your body needs time to get used to both the dose and the CBD in general. While you’re finding that CBD “sweet spot” you may want to write in a journal to keep track of what’s working and what isn’t.
Does CBD actually help with anxiety and stress?
CBD can help lower and control anxiety and stress through its working with the body’s endocannabinoid system. When the cannabinoids in the CBD bind to the CB1 and CB2 receptors in the brain, they can help bring about feelings of relaxation and calm.
How long does CBD oil take to work for anxiety?
When CBD oil is dropped under the tongue and held in the mouth for around 60-seconds, the cannabinoids, phytonutrients, and terpenes can quickly enter into the bloodstream. Therefore, most people feel the effects of their CBD oil anywhere between 15 and 30 minutes after taking it.
Where to buy CBD oil for anxiety?
Even though it’s convenient to buy CBD oil from the store nearest you, this is not the most effective way to find high-quality brands that make clean and potent products. When you shop for CBD oil online, you can take all the time you need to research brands and products until you find a respected brand that makes top-shelf products. CBD stores can have a limited selection of products or may sell low quality products from less reputable brands.
Final Thoughts on CBD Oil for Anxiety
If you’ve been struggling with anxiety or depression, CBD might be able to help you achieve quick and effective relief from those health issues without any of the potential negative side effects that prescription medications can cause. Another bonus is that CBD is safe, well-tolerated, non-addicting, and comes with very few mild side effects that include sleepiness, dizziness, nausea, low blood pressure, mood changes, and changes in appetite and weight.
If you’ve been struggling with anxiety and have been wanting to try CBD, then our top brand picks for the seven best CBD oils for anxiety are a fantastic place to begin your search. We’ve selected FAB CBD as our top choice because the brand’s CBD oils are potent, pure, effective, and highly rated among both customers and industry experts. Moreover, FAB CBD truly cares about the health, wellness, questions, and concerns of its customers, as is reflected in the brand’s warm and caring customer service department and stellar reputation. Even though FAB CBD is our top pick, our other six brands also rise to the top.
No matter which brand you decide to go with, you should still take some time to perform your own research into what CBD is and how it can best help you calm your anxiety. You may also find it helpful to dig deeper into our top seven brands as well. If you’re stuck on where to begin in your research, you can always start by looking closer into the brands we’ve presented to you in our guide. Lastly, if you’ve got questions or concerns about CBD and how it can help to alleviate your anxiety or depression, never hesitate to call your primary care physician or medical specialist.
Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.