Thanks to positive feedback from regular CBD users, as well as advancements in research, the hemp industry has grown in insurmountably. Not surprisingly, that growth led to an influx of CBD creams on the market. Our guide to the best CBD cream for pain will help you sort through the confusion to pick the most trusted brand that’s best for you.
Because of continuing research and a measurable boost in popularity from customers who swear by the benefits of their daily CBD use, the hemp industry, as well as the number of brands that create products from hemp, has grown considerably over the years. To that end, CBD is more popular than ever among consumers who are looking to take advantage of the many health benefits that CBD has to offer.
Top 10 Brands of CBD Creams for Pain
- FAB CBD — Best Overall
- Joy Organics — Best Organic Products
- Medterra — Most Sustainable
- PlusCBD — Innovative Products
- CBDistillery — Wide Variety
- cbdMD — Unique Product Line
- CBDPure — Best for Beginners
- Green Roads — Pharmacist Formulated Products
- Cheef Botanicals — Interesting Selection
- Lazarus Naturals — Best Hemp Rub
What We Looked for in the Brands of CBD Cream
When we began looking at different CBD brands, we wanted to begin with a fairly robust list. After we compiled a strong list of reputable brands, we next put together the guidelines that we wanted to adhere to as we started to narrow that list down. Our primary objective in researching all of these brands was to help our readers find the most potent, cleanest, and most effective CBD cream for pain.
In putting together our list, we examined:
- Cream ingredients
- Verified customer reviews
- Third-party laboratory reports
- Hemp source
- Cream purity and quality
- Brand reputation
- Product price
- Extraction method
10 Best CBD Creams for Pain in 2022
Below are our top 10 best CBD creams for pain. These brands made our list because they are transparent and have some of the most potent and pure products on today’s market.
FAB CBD has always pushed the envelope when it comes to new and innovative products. The brand, which was established in 2017, has quickly risen in both popularity and reputation as being a strong, transparent brand that produces potent, effective, and clean CBD products. Since its inception, the brand has always had a core mission of creating the best possible CBD and nutritional products so that customers can live a preventative wellness lifestyle.
Everyone who works at FAB CBD has a strong understanding of the brand’s mission and what it takes to create an amazing CBD product because they have all worked in the health and wellness industries for a good number of years. FAB CBD’s customers as well as industry experts consistently also praise the brand for its excellent customer service. It is for these reasons, and many more, that we’ve selected FAB CBD as our number one pick for best CBD cream for pain.
FAB CBD prides itself on being transparent. To that end, the brand hires a third-party laboratory, ProVerde Laboratories, to test all of its products. Those results are published on the FAB CBD website where customers can easily find them. FAB CBD’s Topical CBD Cream is potent, light, creamy, and has an uplifting citrus scent. The cream is easy to use, as you only have to massage a small amount of cream into the affected area once or twice a day. Customers report that they have felt relief from their muscle and joint aches and pains with consistent use of FAB CBD Topical CBD Cream.
- Hemp Source — Organic hemp from Colorado.
- About the CBD Cream — FAB CBD creates a potent. blood orange scented, full-spectrum cream that contains 600mg of CBD per jar.
- Extraction Method — Industry-preferred CO2 extraction process.
- Effectiveness — FAB CBD’s Topical CBD Cream is smooth, light, potent, and highly effective against tough muscle and joint aches and pains.
- Third-Party Lab Reports — All products are tested by an independent lab for potency and purity.
Joy Organics was co-founded in 2018 by Joy Smith, who struggled for years with various health issues. Smith eventually turned to CBD as a way to help her find relief from her chronic pain. Before she began exploring the world of CBD, Smith also struggled with sleep issues. She was able to help both her sleep issues as well as her other health concerns through regular use of CBD.
After Smith took it upon herself to purchase and try a host of CBD products, experiencing only minor and few positive effects, she decided to create her own line of clean, potent, and effective CBD products. To this day, Joy Organics is well-known as being a strong brand with a positive reputation for creating clean and effective CBD products.
- Hemp Source — Instead of growing and extracting its own hemp and hemp extract, Joy Organics partners with other growers and manufacturers in Oregon, Colorado, and Montana. The growers who work with Joy Organics are licensed under their individual state’s department of agriculture.
- About the CBD Cream — Joy Organics makes a 1000mg CBD Sports Cream that contains a blend of menthol and camphor to help heat and cool painful joints and muscles.
- Extraction Method — The CO2 extraction method is used to obtain clean and potent extracts.
- Effectiveness — Customers have regularly praised Joy Organics for having clean and effective products.
- Third-Party Lab Reports — All products tested by an independent third-party laboratory.
Medterra was created by a group of friends who were passionate about CBD and what it can do to boost overall health and wellness. All those associated with the brand strongly believe that CBD should be both affordable as well as easy for anyone and everyone to purchase. Those who work for Medterra are involved in the entire CBD creation process from seed to sale. In doing this, they are assuring to customers that every product is of superior quality. Medterra also uses an independent, third-party laboratory to regularly test all of its products for quality and purity.
Medterra has been in a partnership with the Hemp Pilot Research Program for quite some time, and through that partnership, they are able to provide their products throughout the entire United States as well as to some countries internationally. The brand also sources its hemp through partnerships with hemp farmers who, along with Medterra’s team of experts, regularly study farming methodologies, food grade compound extraction, vegetable genetics, quality control, and so much more. The brand also works hard to eliminate the negative beliefs that are tied to cannabis cultivation by educating people on the plant’s sustainability and effectiveness.
- Hemp Source — All of Medterra’s hemp comes from a Kentucky farm that has been registered with that state’s Department of Agriculture.
- About the CBD Cream — The brand makes its 500mg CBD isolate Pain Relief Cream with arnica and menthol to target sore backs, stiff necks, and areas of arthritis and joint pain.
- Extraction Method — Industry preferred CO2 extraction method.
- Effectiveness — Much like the other brands we’ve profiled in our guide, Meterra also uses clean, high-quality ingredients, as well as the industry-preferred Co2 extraction process to obtain its extracts. This ultimately ensures that Medterra’s products are potent, clean, and effective.
- Third-Party Lab Reports — All products tested by an independent lab.
PlusCBD has been working to improve the health and wellbeing of consumers, its employees, and communities since 2012 through the creation of clean and innovative products. The brand makes all of its products using agricultural hemp that’s grown and harvested in Europe. PlusCBD also uses the industry preferred CO2 extraction method to obtain its full-spectrum extracts, and then all products are tested regularly by an independent third-party lab.
- Hemp Source — PlusCBD uses agricultural hemp that’s grown in Europe.
- About the CBD Cream — PlusCBD makes a strong selection of CBD creams including 500mg full-spectrum Pain Relief Cream, 1000mg full-spectrum CBD Pain Relief Penetrating Cream, and 750mg full-spectrum Pain Relief Arthritis Cream. All creams contain camphor and menthol.
- Extraction Method — Industry preferred CO2 extraction method.
- Effectiveness — Since the brand has three different creams in different strengths, it’s safe to say that they are giving consumers many different options for treating tough areas of pain on the body.
- Third-Party Lab Reports — All products tested by an independent lab.
CBDistillery first came onto the scene in 2016 because a group of CBD-loving Colorado natives wanted to rail against low quality brands that were flooding into an already saturated market. The brand has made its mission to educate customers throughout the world about CBD’s healing benefits. CBDistillery also crafts a wide variety of products including CBD topicals, full-spectrum oils, CBD softgels, CBD gummies, CBD isolate powder, and even CBD pet products.
The brand’s CBD topicals were thoughtfully created from non-GMO industrial hemp that was carefully cultivated using clean and natural farming practices. Some of CBDistillery’s topicals include CBD cream, CBD salve, and a CBD lip balm that helps to soothe and moisturize dry, cracked skin and painful joints and muscles.
- Hemp Source — All of the brand’s non-GMO industrial hemp is grown in Colorado using natural farming methods.
- About the CBD Cream — CBDistillery makes a CBD isolate 500mg and 1000mg CBD Relief Stick that contains menthol to cool sore muscles and joints, a 500mg CBD isolate CBD Warming Cream that contains a warming component to help bring soothing relief, and a 500mg CBD isolate CBD Cooling Cream that contains a cooling component to provide targeted pain relief.
- Extraction Method — Industry preferred CO2 extraction process.
- Effectiveness — Verified customer reviews confirm that the brand’s products are potent and effective. In order to obtain the cleanest and purest extracts, the brand uses the industry preferred CO2 extraction method.
- Third-Party Lab Reports — All products are tested by a third-party lab for potency and purity.
cbdMD has always worked hard in its combination of innovation, customer service, and top-notch product selection to both provide customers with some of the most reputable CBD products on today’s market as well as to educate the public on the benefits of incorporating CBD into their lives. As part of its mission, the brand also strives to ensure that CBD is easily available to everyone.
cbdMD creates THC-free products, and specifies on its website that its manufacturing process is the only one that is able to preserve the hemp plant’s properties while removing all traces of THC. The brand also offers a 60-day, money-back guarantee on all of its products, which is great for those who are trying CBD for the first time.
- Hemp Source — cbdMD’s hemp comes from farms in both Kentucky and Colorado. Moreover, the brand also owns and operates its own production and lab facilities.
- About the CBD Cream — cbdMD makes Broad Spectrum CBD Recover Cream in a tub or pump in strengths of 750mg or 1500mg. The cream is unique in that it’s made with histamine dihydrochloride to evoke a warming sensation, arnica, aloe vera, MSM, and essential oils. The cream is also available in a 3000mg pup applicator.
- Extraction Method — Ethanol extraction process.
- Effectiveness — Customers who have left verified reviews on the brand’s website consistently say that cbdMD’s products are extremely effective at handling tough muscle and joint aches and pains. Moreover, the brand also uses a third-party lab to regularly test all of its products for potency and effectiveness.
- Third-Party Lab Reports — All products tested by a third-party lab.
CBDPure is a brand that’s highly invested in growing and producing high-quality, full-spectrum CBD products that come from certified organic industrial hemp from Colorado and Washington. The brand makes it a point to never use any harmful herbicides or pesticides. On its website, CBDPure also boasts that the genetics of the hemp plant that’s used for its CBD extracts is specifically chosen for its high CBD content.
CBDPure also adheres to strict manufacturing guidelines as well as strong quality control protocols so that high-quality full-spectrum CBD products are produced. In fact, the brand’s products are consistently tested by a third-party lab and reviewed for both quality and potency. According to CBDPure’s website, the brand is involved with the entire process “from soil to oil.”
- Hemp Sources — CBDPure sources all of its organic industrial hemp from Colorado and Washington.
- About the CBD Cream — The brand makes its full-spectrum 500mg CBD Muscle and Joint Formula with menthol and white willow bark to help combat tough pain.
- Extraction Method — Industry preferred CO2 extraction method.
- Effectiveness — CBDPure’s Muscle and Joint Formula CBD cream contains 250mg of full-spectrum CBD. It’s also made with menthol and white willow bark to help boost the cream’s overall effectiveness. The formula is light and non-greasy and has gotten strong overall reviews from verified customers who have purchased this product.
- Third-Party Lab Reports — The brand uses an independent lab to regularly test each product.
Laura Fuentes, a compounding pharmacist, started Green Roads in 2013. At first, she set out to make clean and potent products to help a dear friend who was struggling with difficult health issues, but then the two of them pressed on and founded the brand as a way to bring those products to people all around the country. Today, Green Roads employs three pharmacists on staff who oversee product formulation and manufacturing. The brand creates CBD isolate, broad spectrum, and full-spectrum CBD products.
- Hemp Source — The brand makes its products from hemp that’s grown throughout the United States.
- About the CBD Cream — Green Roads has quite a few offerings when it comes to CBD cream. The brand makes Broad Spectrum Pain Relief CBD Cream in 150mg, 350mg, or 750mg that’s geared to help with tough muscle aches and pains, and CBD isolate Muscle & Joint Relief Cream in 750mg strength.
- Extraction Method — CO2 extraction process.
- Effectiveness — All products are carefully crafted to be effective at treating painful muscles and joints.
- Third-Party Lab Reports — All products tested by an independent third-party lab.
Cheef Botanicals has a goal to educate the world about the healing power of the hemp plant. The brand was founded by a group of cannabis lovers with over 25 years of experience in the organic food industry. Cheef Botanicals’ founders started the brand because they all agreed that there was a lack of health-centered, plant-based cannabis products in California. All of the brand’s products are vegan, organic, gluten-free, cruelty-free, non-GMO, and dairy-free.
- Hemp Source — Cheef Botanicals uses hemp through a partnership with farms in Colorado.
- About the CBD Cream — The brand makes its full-spectrum CBD Body Lotion in 200mg and 800mg strengths. The product comes in Cucumber Melon and Orange Bliss scents.
- Extraction Method — CO2 extraction method.
- Effectiveness — Cheef Botanicals’ CBD Body Lotion is effective at providing relief from pain and keeping skin soft and moisturized.
- Third-Party Lab Reports — All products routinely tested by a third-party lab and posted on the brand’s website.
Lazarus Naturals makes high-quality, effective, affordable CBD products that customers love. The brand was built on the belief that CBD can have the ability to positively impact the quality of consumers’ lives. To that end, the founders strongly believe that CBD should be affordable to everyone, regardless of their financial circumstances. All of the hemp that Lazarus Naturals uses to make its products is grown in Central Oregon and is rigorously tested for pesticides, heavy metals, and potency level. Additionally, the brand obtains its hemp extracts through a cryogenic ethanol extraction process. Every product is then routinely tested by an independent third-party lab for solvents, heavy metals, herbicides, microbial impurities, and for CBD potency level.
- Hemp Source — Lazarus Naturals obtains its hemp from Central Oregon.
- About the CBD Cream — The brand has a wide selection of CBD lotions, balms, and gels. But its full-spectrum CBD Lotion contains high-potency CBD, jojoba oil, and vitamin E to help nourish skin and combat pain. The lotion comes fragrance free and in Pacific Pine scent and in potencies of 5000mg and 1500mg of CBD.
- Extraction Method — Cryogenic ethanol extraction process.
- Effectiveness — Lazarus Naturals’ CBD Lotion not only softens skin, it also helps calm down localized areas of discomfort on the body.
- Third-Party Lab Reports — All products tested by a third-party lab.
CBD Creams and Pain: What’s the Deal?
Today, many people are turning to CBD to help with a great number of health issues that include:
- Pain — Studies show that CBD has many anti-inflammatory properties that work with the human body’s endocannabinoid system to help quell pain and bring the body back into a state of balance.
- Anxiety and Depression — Studies show that CBD can help to relieve anxiety. It currently is not known what the best dose is to specifically alleviate anxiety and depression because everyone’s body is different. Therefore, what works best for one person might not work well for another. Everyone will respond differently to different doses.
- Epilepsy — In June of 2018, Epidolex was approved by the FDA. This medicine containing CBD is used to treat seizures in children and adults from two rare forms of epilepsy.
- Sleep Issues — Research shows that CBD can help produce a relaxing effect that can help people get a better, more restful sleep at night.
Humans have an endocannabinoid system that helps to regulate the body and bring it back to a state of balance, or homeostasis. The endocannabinoid system, or ECS, can help to regulate:
- Motor Control
Interestingly, the endocannabinoid system does not need cannabis in order to function. In fact, scientists have discovered two main endocannabinoids that the body produces, anandamide (AEA) and 2-arachidonoylglycerol (2-AG), that work without cannabis to help the body’s internal functioning stay in balance.
The receptors of the endocannabinoid system are located all throughout the body. In order for the endocannabinoid system to go to work, endocannabinoids need to first bind to the receptors. Endocannabinoids can bind to one of two types of receptors. The resulting effects of this binding largely depend on which endocannabinoid binds to the receptor and where the receptor is located within the body.
The two major endocannabinoid receptors are CB1 receptors and CB2 receptors. CB1 receptors are located around the central nervous system, while the CB2 receptor can be found in the peripheral nervous system.
When CBD cream is massaged into the skin, it penetrates the skin to enter into the muscles and joints where it attaches to cell receptors in the muscle tissue, skin, and nerves to help alleviate both pain and inflammation. The difference, however, between CBD cream and CBD oil is that because the cream is a topical, the CBD will not enter into the bloodstream as it would with a CBD oil that is taken internally.
So, when CBD topical cream is massaged into the skin, it has a better chance at alleviating sore joints and muscles because the cream is being massaged directly into a specific area on the body, therefore creating a means of targeted relief. When it comes to trying to figure out whether or not it’s safe to use CBD cream, the answer is quite simple: Yes, it’s very safe to use CBD cream. That simple answer does, however, come with a caveat. CBD creams are safe to use providing you purchase a cream from a reputable brand that is transparent and whose products are clean, potent, effective, and free from harmful chemicals, pesticides, and herbicides.
Buying CBD products online is one of the best ways to go. When you find a couple brands that you are interested in, you can take the time to research each brand by looking at independent third party lab reports as well as verified customer reviews.
How Can CBD Help Alleviate Pain?
CBD can help alleviate pain in a great number of ways. However, as we stated before, CBD works differently when it’s taken internally as opposed to when it’s rubbed topically onto the skin. When CBD cream is rubbed into the skin, it penetrates into the muscles and joints.
It then attaches to cell receptors on the skin, muscle tissue, and nerves to help calm down areas of pain. The endocannabinoid system, as we’ve also talked about above, also plays a large part in this by helping to bring the body back to a state of balance. When the body is brought back into homeostasis, it can better deal with pain and inflammation.
CBD Cream vs CBD Oil: Which is Better for Pain?
While both products are excellent at tackling tough pain in and on the body, the product you choose depends largely on where the pain is stemming from. CBD oil is excellent at helping to alleviate and lower pain caused by internal issues like cancer, multiple sclerosis, or Crohn’s Disease because it works to internally decrease pain and inflammation by helping to regulate and boost the endocannabinoid system.
CBD cream, however, is wonderful to use if you are experiencing a localized area of pain in your joints and/or muscles. It’s also helpful to massage CBD cream into painful areas caused by arthritis, fibromyalgia, tendonitis, and any other condition that causes joints and muscles to become inflamed and angry. So while CBD oil works from within, CBD cream works superficially at the skin, muscle, and joint level to bring about relief.
What You Should Look for When Purchasing CBD Cream
Before you jump in and hastily purchase the first CBD topical cream that you see online, you should take the time to thoroughly research any CBD cream brands that catch your eye. You should know that not all CBD creams or brands are created equal. And while it may feel good to save money by buying creams that are kinder on your wallet, please know that those cheaper brands may also be harboring dangerous chemicals and additives in them.
Cheaper creams made by less reputable brands are sometimes made with extracts obtained using other less clean methods such as solvent extraction processes. Not only that, but their hemp sources may also not be on point, and may not be organically grown or thoroughly regulated. In purchasing cheap creams, you could be using a product that is loaded with harmful chemicals, pesticides, and herbicides. When you take the time to research both the brand and the product by reading independent third-party lab results, reading verified customer reviews, exploring brand reputation, and other criteria, you’re ensuring that the product you’re purchasing is clean, potent, and will not do more harm to your body in the long-run.
Any CBD cream that you purchase should be reasonably priced, crafted from organic hemp that is free from herbicides, pesticides, and other dangerous chemicals, and is routinely tested for quality and potency by an independent third-party laboratory. Moreover, you should be able to easily find those third-party lab results on the brand’s website. The cream should also have solid customer reviews for being clean, easy to use, potent, and effective.
Lastly, it’s also best to purchase CBD creams online as you will be able to take the time to do the research you want to do. If you stop in at a brick and mortar store, you could be limited in the information that you find. Keeping all that in mind, it’s best to take your time and do your research before jumping to buy the first CBD cream that you find online.
Does CBD Cream Work for Pain?
The quick answer to this question is yes. CBD creams do work for pain. The tricks to effective pain regulation through the use of topical CBD cream are consistency and purchasing a high-quality, potent product from a reputable brand. When it comes to consistency, it’s best to use the cream the same number of times per day around the same times a day. It also helps to keep applying the cream to the same areas, as this will give the CBD a better chance at effectively targeting the same muscle tissue, skin, and nerve cell locations on your body.
Also, as stressed throughout this guide, you should purchase a CBD cream from a reputable brand to ensure that you are using a clean, potent product that is free from chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, and other dangerous additives. It may feel risky spending a larger sum of money on a seemingly small jar of CBD topical cream, but remember, with CBD cream, a little dab of cream goes a very long way. You can always re-apply the cream to the affected area if needed.
How to Use CBD for Pain
Recently, the Arthritis Foundation has stated that ongoing research regarding the effectiveness of CBD cream on arthritis pain is promising. Studies show that CBD helps to reduce the inflammation that causes arthritis pain. What this means is that the cream has to be used regularly in order for arthritis sufferers to see long-term results.
Using CBD cream for arthritis pain is fairly simple. How you use the product will largely depend on both your needs as well as the directions listed on the product’s packaging. Some easy suggestions for how to use CBD for pain and arthritis are as follows:
- Always follow the instructions that are listed both on the product’s packaging and container. You should try to steer clear from using excessive amounts of cream and stick to using only what is suggested.
- Massage the cream into the area or areas of soreness. When you massage the cream into the skin, not only are you working the CBD into the skin, muscle tissues, and nerve cells, you are also increasing blood flow to the area, which in turn helps to alleviate muscle tension and pain.
- Use the cream for several consecutive days and make notice of any results that you see. Increase or decrease use and amount as needed.
CBD Cream for Pain Safety and Side Effects
The good news is that you can safely use CBD cream as little or as much as you need to. Because it isn’t taken internally, it works on a superficial level to help calm the pain that radiates from overworked, tired, and sore joints and muscles. And as an added bonus, it also helps to moisturize and smooth out skin.
When it comes to CBD in general, however, there are a few mild side effects that have been linked to it. Some of these side effects include:
- Changes in weight
- Changes in appetite
- Dry mouth
If you have questions or concerns about CBD cream, don’t hesitate to reach out to your primary care doctor or medical specialist.
CBD Cream FAQs
Below are some commonly asked questions regarding CBD cream. If you don’t find an answer to one of your own questions, then feel free to do some research of your own to find the answer.
Are CBD Creams or CBD Topicals Legal?
Thanks to the 2018 Farm Bill, all hemp-based CBD products are legal to buy and sell across the United States, providing they contain 0.3% or less THC.
Does CBD Actually Help Relieve Pain?
CBD helps to relieve pain by working with the body’s endocannabinoid system. Along with the body’s own endocannabinoids, the cannabinoids in CBD products bind to the CB1 and CB2 receptors in the brain to help alleviate pain and eliminate and calm down inflammation. CBD can be particularly helpful if the endocannabinoid system is depleted and needs a boost.
Is CBD Addictive?
Hemp-based CBD is not addictive. Moreover, the THC content in these types of products is so low that there is no way that anyone can get “high” from using them.
Is CBD the Same as Marijuana?
Both hemp and marijuana contain cannabinoids, terpenes, and phytonutrients. Likewise, both plants are varieties of the cannabis plant. CBD refers to one of the main cannabinoids in the hemp and marijuana plant. THC is the other main cannabinoid. So in short, CBD is not the same as marijuana.
Is It Possible to Take Too Much CBD?
Scientific studies have proven that there’s no way that anyone can overdose on CBD. And because creams are massaged into the skin and not taken internally, you won’t have to worry about getting the dosage exactly right.
Final Thoughts/Bottom Line
CBD cream is a great way to help alleviate localized muscle and joint pain. However, before hopping online to purchase the first CBD cream that you find, take the time and do some research into both the product and the brand. When you do find the right reputable brand, make sure that the product is made from high-quality ingredients and that the cream is thoroughly tested by an independent third-party laboratory. Moreover, those results should be easy for you to find on the brand’s website.
CBD cream is a quick and easy way to naturally help alleviate tough joint and muscle aches and pains. Consistency is key, though, as you should apply the same amount of cream to the same areas around the same time or times each and every day. Always check in with yourself to see how your body feels. This way, you will know if you need to use more or less cream as well as increase or decrease how many times and days you use it.
If you’ve been experiencing painful joints and muscles and/or arthritis pain, and have been thinking about incorporating CBD cream into your daily natural healthcare routine but are unsure of where to start, then our guide is the perfect place to begin! Our top seven brands for Best CBD Creams in 2021 are excellent to go with for all of your tough aches and pains. If, however, you are nervous about trying CBD topical cream, then you can always contact your primary care physician or specialist to set up an appointment to discuss the best options to use CBD cream in your daily life.
Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.