It was a sad day in indieville yesterday as actress/singer Zooey Deschanel officially filed for divorce from Death Cab For Cutie's Ben Gibbard. Though the two had been rumored to be on the rocks for some time, fans held out hope that the duo would work things out. As disappointing as this may be for fans, they weren't the only couple to call it quits in the past 365 days. Here are some other couples that untied the knot.
5. Zooey Deschanel and Ben Gibbard: Yes, this is hot off the presses, but when compared to the other people on the list, this duo seem as harmless as can be. They've been separated since October, so the news of their divorce shouldn't come as a surprise, unlike the others on this list.
4. Jack White and Karen Elson: In perhaps the most mature and reasonable of ways, the duo called it quits last June after six years of marriage. Rather than dwell on the past, the couple threw themselves a Splitsville shindig to celebrate both their time together and their divorce, proving that not all things that go awry, are, well, awry.
3. Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth: After 27 years of marriage, Moore and Gordon shockingly called it quits last year. When their impending divorce was publicized in October, fans wept, wiped their noses on their flannel shirts and wondered what the hell happened between this seemingly perfect couple. Have no fear, Sonic Youth plans to soldier on despite the martial troubles of its principal members, but those studio sessions and travel arrangements may get a bit dicey.
2. Russell Brand and Katy Perry: If you didn't see this one coming, raise your hand. C'mon, I can't see you. That's what I thought, no hands. Seeing as they bought a 7-bedroom home in Los Feliz last year, the quirky duo seemed to be planning on raising a family. Alas, like all good things, this one came to an end. Perhaps it was the Indian wedding or just the complete opposite nature of both stars that only the word love can explain. But days after Brand was spotted in London solo sans wedding band, the duo announced it was over. For all you guys with teenage dreams about the singer, good luck!
And the number one split is …
1. Sinead O'Connor and Barry Herridge *: Wow, where to begin with this guy! Earlier this year, the singer wrote on her website she was in the market for a new man (maybe Craigslist would have been better, or Match.com for that matter). In the words of Borat, “Great success!” O'Connor didn't find a man through her website, but she ended up with Herridge, an odd choice considering he's a drug counselor who tries to help to those with substance abuse and the singer likes to abuse substances. You know where this is going.
After a quick romance, the duo wed on the singer's 45th birthday at the Little White Wedding Chapel in Las Vegas. However, the singer, hankering for some substances to celebrate her marriage, scored some crack and weed — much to her hubby's disapproval. Yes, you guessed it, the two separated less than three weeks after getting hitched. “[There was] a wild ride I took us on looking for a bit of a smoke of weed for my wedding night as I don't drink,” she wrote. “My husband was enormously wounded and very badly affected by that experience and also by the attitude of those close to him toward our marriage. It became apparent to me that if he were to stay with me he would be losing too much to bear.”
*Ah! All is well that ends well. Yesterday, O'Connor reported via her website that the duo are back together. Since I can't do this statement justice, here is what the Irish singer wrote: “Spent a beautiful evening of love making with none other than my husband,” the Irish singer wrote. “We decided to be boyfriend and girlfriend again and stay married, but we did rush [into marriage].” Hmm, this has disaster written all over it.