LA Weekly's contributing writer (and dapper man-about-town) Drew Tewksbury has tipped us to the fact that this weekend many of the major museums in L.A. are FREE to the public!
Details are on the L.A. museums' website, and we think everyone should take advantage of this deal, particularly music fans.
Here are the Top 10 Reasons Music Fans Should Go to L.A. Museums This Weekend:
10. Many of your favorite album covers are museum-quality paintings and photographs. It's a special thrill to walk into one of these at a museum and go “Wait, that's the cover for …” (Even Hole fans can play this game now!)
9. If you're in a band, you probably spent many, many hours concentrating on learning your instrument of choice. It's time to take a little break and check out the best and brightest in other art forms (also, you might find your next album cover–see #9)
8. Fact: Very cute people are found ambling about in museums. Guys and gals: if you happen to be into women, the ratio is just ridiculous, particularly compared to most indie or metal shows.
7. They often feature musical performances in genres and styles you might be unfamiliar with and might end up digging (particularly “world music.” You could be the next Vampire Weekend!–please don't.)
6. Just walk around without reading the wall text or the little pamphlets. Stop in front of anything that grabs you. That's the best way to discover your personal favorites.
5. If you're feeling down about your own artistic pursuit, just look around and realize that most of the people whose work is being exhibited are weirdos and misfits just like you who stuck to their guns and took self-expression to the next level. This can be incredibly inspirational.
4. Did we mention the very cute people just walking around looking at cool things?
3. Dylan, Bowie, Lennon, Laurie Anderson, David Byrne, Lou Reed, Bjork, Jay-Z, and pretty much any next-level music genius you adore: they're all waaaaaay into the cutting-edge of different artforms.
2. Hands-down the best places to nurse a post-show hangover.
And the number one reason why you should visit several L.A. museum this weekend is… (well, we gave it away in the headline)
1. THEY ARE FREE!!!