If you love L.A.'s booming cocktail culture but aren't sure how to dress the part, below are some fashion tips courtesy of Sarah Dale, proprietress of Pull My Daisy in Silverlake.
Carrying predominately local designers with predilections toward classic shapes with a modern bent, Dale's shop is an emporium of girlish fun replete with kitschy paintings, a photo-booth, and a new accessories boutique called Grey. Here's what she had to say:
- The key word is flavor – you want to pay homage, not look like you're wearing a costume. If you have a dress with great big accents, you don't wear big hoop earrings and bangles because it's overkill.
- If you're dressing for the new speakeasy/cocktail/downtown vibe there are throwbacks to a lot of different eras — twenties, thirties, Mad Men fifties to early sixties…the best thing to do is dress for your body type and accentuate your best features.
- If the styles of that time don't work with your body type, don't do it. Stick to accessories; for women, headbands and necklaces are great. Men can put on a hat and all of a sudden they're in character.
- Play around and figure out how to change the look of things; if you wear your Palm Springs circa 1960's dress to a Mad Men party with a hat and heels, next week cinch it with a black belt, and pull on some fishnets with a pair of flats..
- The way to get the most bang for your buck, is to take a dress you already have at home and add accoutrements; the addition of pearls and the right shoes to a simple black dress gives a nod and wink which when discarded, once again looks modern.
- For all the single ladies – a pin on your lapel, or a flower in your hair invites conversation – a man is never going to comment on a dress, but a great big brooch near your breast is an excuse for him to touch you.
- Don't worry about what the size says in the back — that dress might look better on you two sizes “too big” because you're gonna blouse it out or tie it to the side. Have fun with fashion. You're not going after the Nobel Peace Prize.
- It's not about leaving your house and spending money all the time, it's about getting in your wardrobe and playing.
- Classic shapes in modern fabrics are a great buy because they can fit into both your every day, and also, your every cocktail-inspired night.
- The most important thing to do is make sure you look good.
Pull My Daisy, 3908 W Sunset Blvd, L.A., (323) 663-0608