Updated at the bottom: What started the whole thing? First posted at 2:28 p.m.

It's not unusual to hear of a man shot on a weekday afternoon in L.A. But in this area it is.

Wilshire Boulevard was shut down near the Miracle Mile east of La Brea Avenue today after a man was shot on the street at South Orange Drive, according to police.

It happened …

View Larger Map

… about 1:45 p.m., LAPD Officer Greg Baek told the Weekly.

The victim survived and was sent to a hospital, he said. LAPD radio traffic indicated the wounded man was taken to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.

Even as cops blocked off Wilshire at La Brea it appears they had a suspect detained, Baek said. [Added at 3:38 p.m.: The standoff appeared to focus on Wilshire and South Mansfield Avenue near the Oasis church and next to the new Beverly Hills BMW dealership].

[Update at 2:50 p.m.]: Baek now says police might be in a standoff with a suspect who is holed up near Wilshire and Orange. We'll keep you updated.

[Added at 3 p.m.]: KCAL 9 footage depicts a standoff between a suspect and LAPD SWAT members.

Wilshire is closed from Highland Avenue to La Brea, according to the station.

[Update at 3:23 p.m.]: Police say the suspect is in custody after “he complied” with cops at the scene and was peacefully collared, an officer told us.

Was he the shooter? “He fits the initial description on the radio call. The airship was above and was able to track him,” the officer told us.

Wilshire Boulevard was being reopened.

[Update at 6 p.m.]: Police tell us this is how it all went down:

The shooter and the victim got into an argument on a bus and both got off on Wilshire at La Brea, LAPD Officer Karen Rayner tells the Weekly:

The suspect opened fire, shooting the victim in his face, she said, then fled to Mansfield Avenue.

An LAPD helicopter was first on the scene and spotted the man there, ordering him to surrender, she said.

But … the suspect didn't surrender, cops allege: Officers from arriving “ground” units shot him a couple times with bean bag rounds but they didn't do the trick, so SWAT members were called in, according to Rayner.

As you know, a suspect ultimately surrendered.

He was hospitalized to be treated for those bean bag wounds, apparently, according to Rayner. When the suspect gets out he'll likely be arrested on suspicion of attempted murder or assault with a deadly weapon, she said.

The victim who had been shot in the face was said to be in critical but stable condition.

[@dennisjromero / djromero@laweekly.com / @LAWeeklyNews]

LA Weekly