Forever on the search for a good leftovers recipe, chef Michael Reed from Poppy + Rose in DTLA has come up with a one-dish winner. Watch him make delicious use of leftover turkey and all the fixings in the video with the help of his sous chef Mackenzie Reed, who quite frankly steals the show and is developing quite a following in her own right. Because of this delightful distraction, we have included the recipe below.
Starting on Giving Tuesday, Poppy + Rose, in collaboration with Brown Bag Lady, will begin accepting donations of gloves, coats and blankets to help those in need stay warm this winter. The first 100 guests to bring in a new or nearly-new coat, pair of gloves or blanket will receive a free fried chicken sandwich at Poppy + Rose – available for takeout/pick up only. The promotion runs from December 1 through December 6 or up until the first 100 donations. Check out the Poppy + Rose Instagram @PoppyandRoseLA for more information.
Recipe for the Thanksgiving-Leftovers Shepherd’s Pie
1 to 2 pounds cooked turkey shredded or diced
4 cups mashed potatoes
3 cups gravy
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup carrot, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 bunch Tuscan kale, blanched and sautéed 2 cups sweet potato, roasted
1 cup corn kernels
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups shredded mixed cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large pot. Then add onions, carrots, celery and corn, cook until tender (about 5 minutes on medium heat).
- Remove pot from the heat and add in Tuscan kale, sweet potato.
- Then, add in the turkey and gravy, and stir until well-blended.
- Transfer to a baking dish. Top with leftover mashed potatoes and cover with cheese
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20-35 minutes until the potatoes and cheese are lightly browned and the filling is bubbly around the edges. (This may get messy, so clean up the edges before serving.)