[Update: After earlier confusion and conflicting reports regarding Tom Petty's condition, a statement from his manager released Monday evening on behalf of Petty's family confirmed that the singer has died. This article has been updated to reflect the latest news.]

Tom Petty was rushed to a hospital in Santa Monica on Sunday night after suffering a heart attack, TMZ has reported. The singer, 66, was found in “full cardiac arrest” at his home in Malibu. EMTs were able to revive him and he was taken to UCLA Santa Monica Hospital, but after doctors were unable to detect any brain activity, a decision was made by Petty's family, based on a “do not resuscitate” order, to take him off life support.

A report from CBS News later declared that he had died, but that report was walked back based on a statement from LAPD saying, “The LAPD has no information about the passing of singer Tom Petty. Initial information was inadvertently provided to some media sources.”

Petty and his longtime backing band, the Heartbreakers, just completed a run of three shows at the Hollywood Bowl on Sept. 21, 22 and 25, celebrating the band's 40th anniversary.

Originally from Gainesville, Florida, Petty and fellow Heartbreakers Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench spent most of their careers in Los Angeles and recorded most of their best-known albums here, including Damn the Torpedoes and Into the Great Wide Open.

Petty also was a member of the late-’80s supergroup The Traveling Wilburys and released several albums as a solo artist, as well as two with his original band, Mudcrutch, who reunited in 2016. He was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

[Update: Monday, Oct. 2, at 9:20 p.m.: Tony Dimitriades, longtime manager of Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, released a statement tonight to Rolling Stone confirming that Petty has died. “On behalf of the Tom Petty family we are devastated to announce the untimely death of of our father, husband, brother, leader and friend Tom Petty,” read the statement. “He suffered cardiac arrest at his home in Malibu in the early hours of this morning and was taken to UCLA Medical Center but could not be revived. He died peacefully at 8:40 p.m. PT surrounded by family, his bandmates and friends.”]

Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.