You know what's awesome? Bars. Seriously. They're just all around great places. Drinks, fun, sometimes a little food…nothing bad there. We also kinda love being able to find bars, using modern marvels like Foursquare, a car navigation system, Yelp or search engines. Little things like that just make us smile.
You know what isn't awesome? Driving around in the year 2011 with that same list of marvels at our fingertips, hoping to find a place to stop and get a drink, but being thwarted instead of helped by bars who have unfortunately un-searchable names. Talk about a pre-buzz kill.
Taking that in to consideration, we realized the need to compile a list of technology-stumping named bars in LA as our follow up to the recent 5 Least-Google-Friendly Restaurants. Because we think you might like finding bars, too. Turn the page for our Top 5 Least-Google-Friendly-Bars in L.A..
5. The Association: Originally this bar hit the top of the chart – but while researching, we were utterly distracted by You Tube offering up footage of the spectacular 70's Sunshine-Pop band of the same name and decided maybe they meant it to be educational? Or an homage? Thus, they were somewhat forgiven. (And if we do this list for local caterers, Along Came Mary – also a song by The Association – would get the same pass.) Intentional or not, we have been turned on to a totally charming band and that makes up for Google's little bait and switch. Oh, and the bar? We heart. 110 East 6th Street, Los Angeles ;(213) 627-7385.
4. Federal Bar: The actual problem here is the nearby LA branch of the Federal Bar Association has higher ranking. That it's relatively new doesn't help either, but really, it's the Bar Association that trips this place up and taunts our GPS with information that has nothing to do with libations. We don't want to pass the bar, we want to arrive at the bar. (Groan.) 5303 Lankershim Blvd, North Hollywood; (818) 980-2555.
3. Writers Room: How extra-excited are we about this oh-so-Hollywood bar? Yipeee! Celebrity investor? Check. Impossible to Google search name? Another check! Unmarked door? You bet! But when you pour James Franco in the mix (yup, we went there. Cocktail humor!) and the dashing and brilliant bartender Daniel Nelson, the kids really would like to know where you are. That all said, if the Writer's Room (office space by the hour? Okay, that's genius.) on Pico sees an uptick in business, or more people watch The Writer's Room on Hulu because of your lack of Googleability, that would be fine, too. Just not exactly thirst quenching. 6685 Hollywood Boulevard; Los Angeles.
2. 3760: It's certainly not the only “Address as Name” bar in town. (Shout out to 4100!). But it for sure is tricky to find. On the plus side, it's a fun place grab a drink before or after a show at the Wiltern. They've got lots of small batch beers including Delirium Tremens Belgian Ale on tap and numerically apropos Jenny (867-5309) by one-hit-wonder Tommy Tutone on the juke box. 3760 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles; (213) 388-3383.
1. The Bar: No, sweet Google, we're not seeking Bar Keeper (been there, love them), Bar Method (okay, maybe we should be focused on that), a barn (a barn? who's looking for a barn?), a spot in the middle of the ocean off the coast of New Jersey (our personal favorite. GPS actually conjured that up while we were standing outside the place) or any of the other 30,000 suggestions you offered up. We actually wanted the website for The Bar. Then again, maybe you're just protecting us since it's not really our style? Maybe in this case, we should be grateful for the SEO fail, and will head off to your first suggestion, The Edison. Thank you, Google. 5851 West Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles; (323) 468-9154.
And because we know you care…here are runners up: The previously mentioned 4100 and Feel Bar (also… ew), Far Bar and Lobby Bar.