A sweet find for Top Gun fans, the 500-square-foot house originally built in 1887 by Dr. Henry Graves, which served as the oceanfront location of Kelly McGillis’ house in the original Top Gun film, has been restored and is the new home of The HIGH-Pie, developed by Palm Springs-based chef and restaurateur Tara Lazar.
The HIGH-Pie is named after its signature creation, a sweet hand pie filled with seasonal, locally picked fruits. After more than a year of product development and preview tastings, The HIGH-Pie makes its brick-and-mortar debut at The Top Gun House, and the opening of the house marks the completion of San Diego’s newest beachfront destination.
After falling into disrepair, the house was painstakingly rehabilitated to historic standards by ownership group S.D. Malkin Properties Inc., with the design support of Nicolò G. Bini at LINE architecture, and under the guidance of the Oceanside Historical Society and Save Our Heritage Organization. The Top Gun House was relocated from its original address at Pacific Street and Seagaze Drive to the beachfront courtyard of the Mission Pacific Hotel in Oceanside, where its structure, design details, and finishes were returned to their original glory.
Instead of modernizing the space, The Top Gun House maintains its original blue Victorian cottage exterior, with sheer curtains on the windows lining an outdoor porch with a hanging swing. The renovated interior features Victorian era panels and an upholstered fireplace, as well as design touches like Top Gun set photos, historic photos of both Oceanside and the Graves House, and vintage furniture. The serving counter has deli-style display cases and shelves, and pies are featured on a Willy Wonka- style conveyor belt.
The film sequel Top Gun: Maverick starring Tom Cruise opens in theaters on Friday, May 27.
Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.