In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- “The bar side of the brasserie has superb cocktails; the crowd oozes and expands and breaks off into little budlets like the amoebas in documentaries you may remember from fifth-grade science class, and the cheese list, the oysters, and bistro classics like tarte flambee, cheesy onion soup and moule frites are superb.” Ask Mr. Gold: Comme As You Are, or The Flexi-hang, West Hollywood Style.”
- “I was a college student and the only cooking experience I had was burning down my parents' kitchen when I was 13.” Q & A With Dorie Greenspan: Her New Book, the Pierre Hermé Fan Club + Why Baking Is More Fun Than Gerontology.
- “If God exists, then His greatest gift to mankind may very well have been that delightful creature the pig (unless you're a member of one of the many religions that don't allow it, in which case it is God's ultimate cruel joke).” Squid Ink Food Fight: The Pork of the Yucatan, Cochinita Pibil.
- “Do not try this at home. If you actually try this and end up dying after only 140 energy drinks instead of 143, it's not our fault.” The Death By Caffeine Calculator: Or, How Many Espressos Are Just Too Many.
- “As medical practitioners, we cannot shut our eyes to possibilities, to a source of energy other than calories.” Update: Man Who Claims 70 Years Without Food Still Going Strong.
- “No one needs to be able to make macaroni and cheese in 3 1/2 minutes. You know what else takes that long to make? Crack.'” Don't Buy This: Easy Mac.
- “This is hardly a surprise, as the kitchen emphasizes options over authenticity–the menu is littered with quotidian veggie burgers, wraps, something called Cowboy, even a quesadilla–none of which Squid Ink has been motivated to try.” California Vegan: Inclusivity Over Authenticity.
- “The point of using something that looks like freshly baked roadkill when the real deal will fry up in the time it takes to do all that mashing is not exactly clear.” Cookbook Review: Crappy Little Kitchens vs. Awesome Recipes & Kitchen Shortcuts