In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- “Does Los Angeles boast the best sushi in the entire country? If even Ferran Adriá is on our side, we can probably feel confident it's true.” 10 Best Sushi Restaurants in Los Angeles.
- “Anticipation in the nonfiction food book world depends on your taste in dining companions, past and present: Julia Child, Yottam Ottolenghi, Diana Kennedy, perhaps. And this summer, it will also depend on how you feel about cats.” Coming This Summer: Julia's Cats: Julia Child's Life in The Company of Cats.
- “Fried tofu that reeks of sewage but tastes absolutely phenomenal? Omelets with a layer of goo and embedded oysters?” 10 Classic Taiwanese Dishes.
- “Freddy Smalls is neither the name of a character in a Leisure Suit Larry game nor the name of a guy who would have been part of Frank Sinatra's original crew if only the movie was called Ocean's Twelve. It is, rather, the great name of a bar and kitchen on the stretch of Pico you usually roll through on your way to and from the 405.” Freddy Smalls: Won't You Be Our Neighbor?
- “We knew it was only a matter of time.” Two-Year Citrus Quarantine in Eastern Los Angeles County.
- “Were there other winners? I suppose there were.” Food & Wine Picks 2012 Best New Chefs: Congratulations Bryant Ng of The Spice Table.
- “It happens every year about this time. Those malted milk-chocolate chip ice cream (p. 82) and blood orange sorbet (p. 162) recipes start appearing in the latest ice cream cookbooks.” Cookbook Review: Do You Really Need Bi-Rite Market's Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones?
- “And no, ordering olives on your pizza is not the solution.” Fast Food, Baked Goods Linked to Depression.