In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- “Still, some pig candy is better than no pig candy at all, and the sweet, sugar-brushed slabs of double-smoked bacon were about as good as it gets, slightly crisp at the edges but melting away in a great rush of smoky juice.” Bigmista Barbecue: Pig Candy + Burnt Ends-A-Go-Go.
- “But even in Los Angeles, as far as I know, you will find neither primates, nor human flesh, nor coelacanth. And we're all better off for it, I think.” Ask Mr. Gold: Munching the Unmentionable. Where to Find the Foodie's Equivalent of a Snuff Film. Or Not.
- “Never mistake the homemade pot brownie found at a frat party for the marijuana dispensary's pot brownie.” Medical Marijuana Edibles: More Than Just Your Big Brother's Pot Brownie.
- “Newport Beach will soon be a destination town not just for, um, semiconductors, but for pizza.” Mozza Expansion Update: Pizzeria Mozza To Open in Newport Beach.
- “A picture is worth a thousand calories. Make that 110,428 calories.” Twinkie Cars, Sausage Men, and Hoagie Blimps: Kitchen (Football Snack) Stadium.
- “We can do so much better than drive-thru or cereal out of a box.” 10 Best Breakfasts: Out of the Bowl and Into a Brioche.
- “Now if Sur la Table would start making Slash cookie cutters, we'd be all set.” The Cookie Monster: Lady Gaga Sugar Cookies.
- “But this YouTube video, cut strangely, perhaps mercifully short, is notable for its one cooking direction: 'mix it around just like Giada would.'” L.A. Couple Arrested For Growing Psychedelic Mushrooms.