In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- “I can remember only one happy outcome: A friend sent a curry back to the kitchen at a Thai restaurant because it wasn't spicy enough, and it came back spicy enough to light up a pinball machine, which to anybody but him would have come across as punitive.” Ask Mr. Gold: Many Unhappy Returns? When to Send a Dish Back.
- “Oliver has called the second season of his ABC reality show a 'documentary,' which is exactly what it may become at this rate: Jamie Oliver and the LAUSD.” Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution + the LAUSD: An Open Letter to Parents.
- “I have a tendency to go to Spago a lot because I think they have secret service at the airport. They know when you land in L.A.” Q & A With Eric Ripert, Part 2: Celebrity Chefs, Spago's Spies + The Identity of Ruth Bourdain.
- “Even the Lord's deep-fryers need their rest.” Chick-fil-a in Hot Oil With Gay Groups.
- “You can put my phone number in this article.” [Updated]: Ortolan Closes.
- “Cotton has long painted high-sucrose landscapes built out of various candies and chocolates, often with female nudes incorporated among the marshmallows.” Will Cotton Exhibition in West Hollywood: Where To Get Your Katy Perry Candyland Fix.
- “And thus, like so many Americans, we're engaging in a little New Year's penance, going from the reds and greens Christmas M&Ms to those of tomatoes and arugula.” Make Your Own Salad Fight: Simply Salad vs. Freshii.
- “When did Hollywood become the burger vortex?” GO Burger and Spiked Milkshakes Hit Hollywood This Month.