It's official: OctoMom Nadya Suleman is “considering” asking for federal assistance under the Women, Infants and Children program. Suleman, who famously gave birth to octuplets in Bellflower last January, had shortly thereafter told her Today show interviewer that she was not on welfare — a statement that was quickly disproved. Since then she says she's off food stamps but that her 14 children are on Medi-Cal. And now, facing monthly infant-formula bills totally $2,000, she tells the Whittier Daily News that she might well enroll in WIC.
Photo: Raul Roa/Whittier Daily News
According to the WDN, a low-income family of 15 — the size of Suleman's — would have to make more than $112,480 through June 30 to not be eligible for government supplied formula, milk, vegetables, fruit, cereal and cheese. This should make the no-income Suleman a shoo-in. Suleman has been at the center of a media storm ever since her identity as OctoMom became known and her life seems to lurch from one controversy to another. The most recent has seen her embrace — and summarily throw out of her new La Habra house — the volunteer nannies provided by the nonprofit Angels in Waiting foundation, as well as sniping with celebrity attorney Gloria Allred, who had organized the nanny arrangement for her.
Although Suleman's now well-aware of criticism about her reliance upon
public assistance to maintain her enormous household, she told the
Whittier reporter that her main goal is her children's well-being.
“I have to let go of what people think,” she said. “I can't live like that.”