Updated at the bottom: One councilman wants to counter-sue protesters for the tab they ran up with taxpayers.
City Administrative Officer Miguel Santana was fed up earlier this week, waiting on long-overdue information from the mayor and L.A. City Council that he needed to compile an expense report for Occupy L.A..
Looks like they finally came through, the Friday before Christmas weekend.
Below, we've posted the preliminary report in its entirety. In it, Santana advises the council that of $2.3 million spent on Occupy L.A., just over half a million went toward “standard operating costs” that would have existed anyway. Making $1.7 million the running total “incurred as a result of the protest.”
Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa had originally put the cost of restoring City Hall lawn at $400,000, and the police raid at $700,000. It now appears that both of those were undershoots, as outrageous as they seemed.
LA Daily News spoke with City Councilman Dennis Zine about how the city plans to make up for the costs. His solution sounds a little vengeful:
Zine said he will ask City Attorney Carmen Trutanich to look into a possible civil suit against Occupy L.A. “They are suing us, so I think we should look at filing a suit to try to recover whatever we can,” Zine said.
“We had a lot of officers, police and General Services, who were watching the occupation,” Zine said. “Most of them were on overtime and those costs add up quick.”
Remember the good old days, when city pols handed out ponchos and told protesters to stay as long as they liked? Heh. Now, on top of all the cash stolen from the 99 percent by the banksters on Wall Street, our elected officials now want to fiscally punish the only Angelenos brave enough to complain about it.
Merry Christmas, y'all.