- LAUSD Approves Teacher Ax Rule Changes School board members narrowly approved recommendations that would make it easier to dismiss teachers facing serious job charges. L.A. Times
- Net Coach Exits USC's head basketball coach, Tim Floyd, has resigned, reportedly worn down by charges of professional impropriety. Daily Trojan
- 99-Cent Canary in the Coal Mine? Faltering discount retailer 99 Cents Only Stores turned a profit in its fourth quarter, ending March 28. Is the economy is rebounding — or forcing consumers to seek lower prices? L.A. Business Journal, Wall Street Journal
- Serial Arsonist Loose Long Beach firefighting officials warn of an arsonist working the middle-class residential neighborhoods of Belmont Shore, Belmont Heights and Bixby Park. So far nine trash-bin fires have been set in the area. Long Beach Press-Telegram
- Dead on Arrival A San Bernardino Man has been arrested after delivering his estranged girl friend to Los Angeles' Good Samaritan Hospital Wednesday. Doctors say the woman, whom the man apparently met with Sunday, had been dead for some time. San Bernardino Sun
- Preserve and Protect The L.A. Cultural Heritage Commission could receive enough increased authority to block demolition of listed monuments and landmarks, if a proposed overhaul of a preservation ordinance is approved by the city Planning Commission. L.A. Times
Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.