Gwyneth Paltrow sings! (see #10).
In celebration of this amazing revelation, we've compiled this handy list of Ten Notable Screen Stars Gone Songbird, starting, of course with:
1. William Shatner. Who can forget Shatner's much-parodied musical career, especially after Rhino Records' inclusion of his songs in most all of their early-'90s “Golden Throats” compilations, showcasing actors who dived into the musical realm, or attempted to. Check out a sample of his “singing” here.
2. Zooey Deschanel. Thanks to her appearance in Elf, this beautiful actress, alongside Will Ferrell's not-so-beautiful harmonies, proved that she also has a stunning, jazzy voice. Plus, she's an all-around adept performer. Her background in acting accounts for a vibrant stage presence that came through in her recent Hollywood Bowl appearance. She sings light-hearted tunes with retro vibes and, paired with M. Ward's talent and musical abilities, She & Him make a great pair.
3. Ryan Gosling. Just last year, the ruggedly talented Gosling became Dead Man's Bones and released a self-titled album with friend Zach Shields and the Silverlake Conservatory of Music Children's Choir. Not bad at all! He's got a deep, raspy voice and a sound similar to Mumford & Sons. Check out their live performance at a cemetery here.
4. Drake. Remember the days, not so long ago, when this rising hip hop star played a Canadian teen in a wheelchair on the Noggin TV series, Degrassi: The Next Generation? I sure do. In fact, that's all I can imagine when I see his face plastered on the new Sprite ads. He may be today's big pop star, but for some, he'll always be Jimmy.
5. Scarlett Johansson. Ah, Scarlett. Why'd you have to do it? Your surprisingly unrecognizable voice could be confused for an angsty teen boy. You're still an astounding actress. Let's leave it at that.
6. Joaquin Phoenix. Remember when Phoenix made the shocking announcement that he was going to quit acting and pursue a rapping career? And how about that painfully awkward appearance on Letterman? Thankfully, Entertainment Weekly shared last year that Phoenix hasn't lost his mind, and Casey Affleck is still making movies. The mockumentary on Joaquin's rapping career is completed and set for release in September. …But isn't there a little part of you that wishes it was all true?
7. Nicole Kidman. Kidman showed the world she could sing in Moulin Rouge, but did you ever hear her rendition of Frank and Nancy Sinatra's “Somethin' Stupid” with Robbie Williams?!
8. Jamie Foxx. The triple threat. Be it acting, singing or doing stand-up, this guy's shown the world that he's got talent. Check out his singing appearance in Kanye West's “Gold Digger.”
9. Woody Allen and his New Orleans Jazz Band. Not bad, right? They've been around for years, and to this day, perform every Monday evening at Manhattan's Carlyle Hotel.
10. And now for the latest addition: Gwyneth Paltrow. Billboard shared today a recording of Gwyneth Paltrow's solo singing debut, called “Country Strong” for her upcoming movie Love Don't Let Me Down, alongside Tim McGraw and Gossip Girl's Leighton Meester.