[Every Sunday from 8 to 10 p.m., Henry Rollins brings an exclusive mix of songs old and new to listeners at 89.9 FM, KCRW. Visit KCRW.com for more information and to stream his show online, or peruse the Radio Notes archives to see past playlists.]
RADIO BROADCAST #304
Fanatic! Easily one of our best shows this year! Great track by Wand. Really cool album, sent to us by Larry at In the Red Records. Another track from the album lined up for next week. I don’t know much about them but I like this album a lot.
Engineer X came by recently and laid a bunch of music on me. He is full time, all over the music search. He gave me a large file of songs and I had not heard of any of the bands except for a few. We will feature some of these bands tonight. I apologize for knowing nothing about the bands, this is all hot off the press.
The Lower Plenty! I am such a fan. I had the Hard Rubbish album for months but had not played it. Several nights ago, I put it on and it was love at first listen. I found some of their other records and they’re all working for me. We will be getting into this band as the weeks go on.
2015 hardly started and Ty Segall has two new releases. The very cool Mr. Face EP, double 7” set. We rock a track tonight and I reckon will get through all four songs. Also, a live album, as well as a two-song single. I just got the two singles and am waiting on the live album. It will all go into the mix as we go forward.
Hopefully, some of you made it to the Chain & The Gang show on the 15th at Satellite. Wow! What a great show! Perhaps some of you noticed a new song, at least new to me, “The Logic of Night.” I think it was my favorite song of the night. Their four (!) albums are all great but live, that’s where it really cooks.
If you look at the songs we have lined up for the show, you can see that we are bringing on some new bands and artists to keep it lively. I will be relating a lot of the info during the show for more details.
Next week’s show is already started and it’s going to be great, so tune in if you can.
I don’t have a crystal ball but I think it’s going to be a great year for music. Three words to leave you with: Russell Street Bombings. Not the event, the band. Very cool. I think you’re going to dig them. When I get the green light to play tracks, we will get into it.
Have a great listen and STAY FANATIC!!!
01. Wand – Clearer / Ganglion Reef
02. Wish – The Days / Wish
03. Lower Plenty – Dirty Flowers / Hard Rubbish
04. Die Cheerleader – Pigskin Parade / Son Of Filth
05. Scorpions – He's a Woman – She's a Man / Taken By Force
06. Total Control – Meds II / single
07. Sprites – George Romero / Little Darla Has A Treat For You Vol. 24
08. I IM EYE MY – Gotta Make The Hay When The Sun Shines / 7 Transmissions
09. Yellow Swans – Echo / Ded Yellow Swans
10. Ty Segall – Mr. Face / Mr. Face EP
11. Billy Bones – Cool Girl With The Vinyl Collection / The Complexity Of Stupidity
12. Young Prisms – Better Days / In Between
13. Crystal Castles – Pale Flesh / Crystal Castles III
14. HTRK – Kiss Before The Fall / Marry Me Tonight
15. Five Blobs – The Blob / Lux and Ivy's Favorites Vol. 2
01. John Lee Hooker – Make It Funky / Free Beer And Chicken
02. The Meters – Gettin' Funkier All The Time / Cabbage Alley
03. The Hot 8 Brass Band – Keepin' It Funky / New Orleans Brass Bands: Through the Streets of the City
04. Gene Defcon – Funky Reggae Jam / Throw Up & Die
05. Red Aunts – Alright / Come Up For A Closer Look
06. The Screamer – Infant Son / The Screamer
07. Chain & The Gang – I'm a Choice (Not a Child) / Minimum Rock n Roll
08. Don Cherry – Taste Maker / Where is Brooklyn?
09. ZZ Top – Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers / Tres Hombres
10. Black Arrows Of Filth And Impurity – Nuclear Facelift (Mantra Of The Maggot) / 1984 (Eternal)
11. The Jesus & Mary Chain – Happy Place / The Power Of Negative Thinking
12. Big Star – Till The End Of The Day / Third/Sister Lovers
13. The Pretty Things – Bracelets of Fingers / CDR
14. De La Soul – Plug Tunin / 3 Feet High And Rising
15. Gene Chandler – Duke Of Earl / The Golden Age Of American Rock 'N' Roll
Email Henry at Henryontheradio@gmail.com.