RADIO BROADCAST #217
See also: Henry Rollins: Remembering Ray Manzerek
Fanatics! Below, you will see what we have prepared for your hopeful enjoyment. I will be back from location, and we will go for our first live Sunday show.
As some of you know, I have been out on the east coast, working on some television stuff for the last several weeks. I must say, I look forward to being back on the air with you all live.
Due to where I have been and what I have been doing, I was unable to see any of the Boris shows in D.C. and L.A. I got a letter from a Fanatic in San Francisco who said they were awesome up there. I hope that any of you who wanted to got a chance to see them play. We can get into some of those re-releases soon, perhaps next week.
I am sure you heard about the passing of Ray Manzerek. I was lucky to have met the man many times over the years, starting in 1983. He was always very cool to me. We will roll a little Doors on our show to salute this great musician.
Tonight, we will play one of those cool late period United Artists-era Buzzcocks singles. I think we have listened to these before, but I thought playing both songs would be the right thing to do.
In hour two, we start it off with some more of Mr. Hendrix. This time, he's jamming with Larry Young. I don't know anything about this session but it's really cool and I thought you all would dig it.
One of my favorite records on the mighty Dischord label is the self-titled Warmers album; tonight we rock a track from it. If any of you have not checked out the incredible Fugazi live download site, you should. Ian has been adding shows every week. I was at Dischord a few weeks ago and he played me an encore from a show in Delaware, 1995. I asked if we could have the track for our show and he sent it to me. We will roll that one next week, it's great.
New VUM and some Coltrane to end the night. It's the Sunday night graveyard. Welcome, Fanatic, welcome.
I will be doing a book signing for Before the Chop at Mr. Musichead on Sunset Blvd. on May 31st. If you are around and feel so inclined, drop on by.
Grab a shovel, fall in and STAY FANATIC!!!
See Henry's tracklist below
01. Aerosmith – Rats in the Cellar / Rocks
02. James Brown – Super Bad / The CD Of JB
03. The Doors – Break On Through / The Doors
04. Black Tambourine – We Can't Be Friends (Lost Inner Ear Mix) / Cassette
05. Birthday Party – Six Inch Gold Blade / 07-01-82 Bremen Germany
06. Jane's Addiction – Pigs In Zen / Live and Profane
07. King Sunny Ade – Synchro System / Synchro System
08. Lightning Bolt – Into The Mist 2 / Ride The Skies
09. The Buzzcocks – Are Everything / single
10. The Buzzcocks – Why She's The Girl From The Chainstore / single
11. Bells Of – Ruby Red / 3's Company
12. Sim Sisamouth – Don't Let My Girlfriend Tickle Me / Cambodian Cassette Archives Vol. 1
13. DEVO – Strange Pursuit / Duty Now For The Future
01. Jimi Hendrix & Larry Young – World Traveler / Record Plant Sessions, NYC
02. Albert Ayler – Spirits / Witches & Devils
03. Boris – Track 11 / Vein (hardcore)
04. The Mallard – Iggy Pop / Yes On Blood
05. Those Naughty Lumps – Iggy Pop's Jacket / single
06. Iggy Pop – Syracuse – Après
07. The Fall – Free Range (single version) / The Fall Box Set
08. The Warmers – Iwaay / The Warmers
09. Models – Man Of The Year / I Wanna Punk Rock
10. Charles Brown – Drifting Blues / Aladdin Recordings
11. Sun Ra – New Planet / Continuation
12. VUM – I Will Return / new
13. John Coltrane – Sun Ship / Sun Ship
Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.