KCRW Broadcast #157 for Saturday, March 24, 2012
Fanatics! It's Blues time in St. Louis Missouri! While you listen to our show, that's where I will be. I thought it appropriate that we spend a bit of time with some very pure and direct sounds. You will notice our wonderful fifteen-minute block of St. Louis Blues. I think you're going to dig that big time.
I am sitting in the backstage area at the Michigan Theater in Ann Arbor, MI where last April, I watched The Stooges tear it up in tribute to their departed guitar player, the great Ron Asheton. This is a great theater, great town. I have done a lot of shows in this place. Tonight should be great.
Throwing things a bit out of kilter is tonight's final track by Takehisa Kosugi. Thankfully, this album has been re-issued and is fairly easy to find. Kosugi was a member of the Taj-Mahal Travellers, that's how I first heard his work. Road Manager Ward turned me onto the Catch-Wave album several weeks ago, when we were in Europe. I dug it and figured you might want to check it out.
I figure we should boldly go stratospheric in the warmer months upcoming. I hope you will enjoy the ride!
Dig these Blues and STAY FANATIC!!! –Henry
Henry can be reached at: Henryontheradio@gmail.com, or follow him on Twitter @henryrollins.
Read on for Henry's tracklisting.
01. Jimi Hendrix – Hootchie Cootchie Man / BBC Sessions
02. Sonny Boy Williamson – Fattening Frogs For Snakes / Down And Out Blues
03. Lightnin' Hopkins – Mojo Hand Part 1 / Lightnin'!
04. Skip James – Hard Time Killin' Floor Blues / Blues From The Delta
05. Robert Pete Williams – I'm Gonna Leave You Baby / Santa Fe Blues
06. Bonecloud – Sea Cave / Teenage Lycanthropy
07. Cramps – Teenage Werewolf / Songs The Lord Taught Us
08. Xombie – Track 02 / Deathdrip
09. Drifters – The Magic Moment / Drifters Greatest Hits
10. Melvins – Bitten Into Sympathy / Gluey Porch Treatments
11. Babs Gonzales – St. Louis Blues / Weird Lullaby
12. Cab Calloway – St. Louis Blues / 1930-1931
13. Slim Gaillard – St. Louis Blues / Sabros! Here's Smorgasbord
14. W.C Handy's Memphis Blues – Band St. Louis Blues / Lost Sounds: Blacks And The
Birth Of The Recording Industry, 1891-1922
15. Duke Ellington – St. Louis Blues / Alternate Takes Disc 01
16. Led Zeppelin – Dazed and Confused / BBC Sessions
17. Wendy Rene – Gone For Good / After Laughter Comes Tears: Complete Stax & Volt Singles + Rarities 1964-65
18. William Bell – Any Other Way / Soul Of A Bell
19. Al Green – Let's Stay Together / Let's Stay Together
20. Altamont – Frank Bank / The Monkees' Uncle
21. Deerhoof – No One Fed Me So I Stayed / Reveille
22. The Puppies – Secret Agent Girl / The Puppies
23. Takehisa Kosugi – Wave Code # E-1 / Catch Wave
Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.