KCRW BROADCAST #139 for Saturday,
November 5, 2011
Fanatics! The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas. At least that's what I've heard. For the first hour of our show, we will focus on music from the great state.
I am in Austin, TX this weekend. I will be at the Fun Fun Fun Festival on Sunday, so Engineer X and I put this together a few days ago.
I am sure I saw a few of you at last week's KCRW party at the Park Plaza downtown. I wish we could do that more often. I don't want to wait another year to do that again.
One thing in our second hour you might find of interest. I have a copy of the new Fall album, Ersatz GB. I asked the record company if I could play tracks from it and they said yes. The album comes out next month, so we got a bit of a jump on things but that's how we do it. So far, the track we are playing tonight is my favorite one. Mark E Smith's wife, also the band's keyboard player is the vocalist on this track. I hope you dig it.
I am glad you all weathered the Damned storm of last month. You all have a lot of patience and perseverance! I think it was a good idea and I am glad you all dug it. I am sorry I got a Damned factoid wrong and got a few letters about it. I said that “Drinkin' About My Baby” was an Eddie and the Hotrods song that Paul Gray brought with him. I couldn't remember where I read that. The main reason I couldn't remember is that I never read it. It's the song “Hit Or Miss” that Gray brought to the band and apparently, it never got past the demo stage with the Hotrods. Perhaps I read that in the liner notes for the anniversary re-issue? I will check when I get a chance.
I think we have a solid show tonight. I have been playing it through and probably will one more time before it airs on Saturday. Next week, we are live and it's going to be a great one. I have just started putting it together and so far, it's quite rockin'.
I think I will have some good stories to tell you next week. The next few days should be quite eventful.
Dig this show and STAY FANATIC!!! –Henry
Henry can be reached at: Henryontheradio@gmail.com, or follow him on Twitter @henryrollins.
Read on for Henry's track listing.
01. The Butthole Surfers – Sweat Loaf / Locust Abortion Technician
02. Lightnin' Hopkins – Mojo Hand / Mojo Hand
03. Roky Erickson – Two Headed Dog (Red Temple Prayer) / The Evil One
04. Henry Thomas – Railroadin' Some / Ragtime Texas
05. ZZ Top – Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers / Chrome, Smoke & B.B.Q.
06. The Prima Donnas – (Dancin' In The) Freaky Zone / Drugs, Sex & Discotheques
07. The Telephone Company – Identical Twin Brothers / Panda Brain
08. True Widow – Minor It Down / True Widow
09. Washington Phillips – Denomination Blues (Pt 2) / I Am Born To Preach The Gospel
10. Buddy Holly – Maybe Baby / Greatest Hits
11. The Big Bopper – Big Bopper's Wedding / Hellooo Baby!
12. The Jesus Lizard – One Evening / Head/Pure
13. Pete Harris – Square Dance Corner / Black Texicans, Balladeers & Songsters Of The Texas Frontier
14. Bobby Fuller Four – I Fought The Law / Never To Be Forgotten
15. DJ Screw – White Horse / 3 'N The Mornin' – Part 1
16. Omar Souleyman – Hedi Hedi (Slowly, Slowly) / Haflat Gharbia
17. Suicide – Ghost Rider / Suicide
18. Solid Eye – Flag Etiquette / String Of Artifacts
19. Sun Ra – On Jupiter / On Jupiter
20. Epsilons – Snap Crackle Pop! / Epsilons
21. David Bowie – Sons of the Silent Age / Heroes
22. Boris – Dyna-Soar / Heavy Rocks
23. Tera Melos – The Skin Surf / Patagonian Rats
24. The Fall – Happi Song / Ersatz GB
25. Petch Pohtakam – Nong Jeoy / Luk Thung! The Roots Of Thai Funk
26. Acid King – Bad Vision / III
27. Procedure Club – Jasionka Airport / Music For The Leisure Time
28. Ajda Pekkan – Kaderimin Oyunu / Turkish Freakout
29. Death – Freakin Out / …For The World To See
Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.