KCRW BROADCAST #113 for Saturday, May 7.
Fanatics! Greetings from Louisiana. I am down here doing a little work with National Geographic. It's just the start of a lot of footage we will be shooting over the next several weeks all over America and abroad. It's going to be very hot where we're going.
I think you're going to like what we have lined up for you tonight. A new addition to our play list is an L.A. band called Tearist, very cool. If you like the track you hear, that's an album you'll want to check out.
I did my best to keep the show moving and bouncing all over the place. I didn't want to get too conceptual, seeing that we went that way last week. By the way, thanks for all the cool letters about playing the X Ray Spex album all the way through. It's a great one.
More Mae Shi, more Pontiak and a cool track from Katy Goodman's new thing La Sera. I had this album sitting in a stack of stuff to be played and finally, it was at the top. I put it and let the music play. Liking this record a lot, it has that big Phil Spector sound without the sad ending.
You'll hear me tell the story during our show but tonight, we finally get a chance to play a track from Lydia Kavina's live album. I never thought I would hear this album. Listen to the show and you'll hear how I got this album.
We will be back together live in the studio next week The Big Three on 89.9 KCRW – THE SPEAR. I will be working on next week's show post shoot days in small hotel rooms in Louisiana and Florida. If everything goes according to plan, I will be spending some time around very large alligators. I hope I get through the weekend intact. Watch your fingers and STAY FANATIC!!! –Henry
Henry can be reached at: Henryontheradio@gmail.com
Read on for Rollins' list of tracks:
01. Boozoo Chavis – Dog Hill / Boozoo Chavis
02. Mississippi Fred McDowell – Shake 'Em On Down / Mississippi Fred McDowell
03. Dio – Black / Angry Machines
04. Scattered Order – This Is A Song About Love / 41 Pardons
05. Melt-Banana – Plot In a Pot / Scratch or Stitch
06. PJ Harvey – Bitter Branches / Let England Shake
07. Blind Willie Johnson – Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground / Complete
08. Henry Thomas – Bull-Doze Blues / Ragtime Texas
09. Tearist – Without One / Living: 2009-Present
10. Googoosh – Bemoun Ta Bemounam / Pomegranates
11. Ivan – Real Wild Child / The Golden Age Of American Rock 'N' Roll – Vol. 6
12. Iggy Pop – Loco Mosquito / Soldier
13. Henry Grimes Trio – Saturday Night What Th' / The Call
14. Birthday Party – Fears of Gun / Bad Seed EP
15. Rain – Snakeout / La Vache Qui Rit
16. The Fontaine Toups – TFT / The Fontaine Toups
17. Flipper – Ha Ha Ha / Sex Bomb Baby
18. Mae-Shi – Summer In Gomorrah / To Hit Armor Class Zero
19. Pontiak – Young / Living
20. La Sera – Never Come Around / La Sera
21. Group Doueh – Aziza / Zayna Jumma
22. Hawkwind – Silver Machine / In Search of Space
23. Rondelles – The Upshot / The Fox
24. Altamont – Red Jackson / Acid King / Altamont Split Release
25. Lydia Kavina – Palestinian Song / Concerto Per Theremin: Live in Italy
26. Generation X – Kleenex / Generation X
27. Babs Gonzales – Then You'll Be Boppin' Too / Weird Lullaby
28. X-Ray Spex – I Am A Cliché / Let's Submerge
29. James Brown – Give It Up or Turn It Loose / Revolution of the Mind
30. Manu Chao – Minha Galera / Clandestino
31. Tumbleweed – Millennium / The Waterfront Years 1991-1993
32. Frankie Ford – Sea Cruise / Loud Fast & Out Of Control
Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.