[Every Sunday from 8 to 10 p.m., Henry Rollins brings an exclusive mix of songs old and new to listeners at 89.9 FM, KCRW. Visit KCRW.com for more information and to stream his show online, or peruse the Radio Notes archives to see past playlists.]
RADIO BROADCAST #306
Fanatic! It’s another great show! As I have told you before, with very few exceptions, the show goes through multiple drafts. The best way to test it is to just let the music play. I listen to the tracks from start to finish and only stop when something seems not to work or if a better idea suddenly presents itself. Obviously this is time consuming but I have found this to be the best way. This particular show found its finish about three drafts in.
In the show, I do a lot of explaining about what we’re listening to, so I won’t belabor you with writing about it here.
Just a couple of things and then I will get out of your way.
Last night, I sat in front of the stereo and listened to a few records. As usual, it was an epic time. I would be falling short of my Fanatic duties if I did not pass on to you a couple of suggestions.
These records on LP are just so damn good I can barely stand it.
Keiji Haino / Jim O’Rourke / Oren Ambarchi – Imikuzushi: Thankfully, these three get together with fair frequency and make records. It had been about a year since I had played this one. For me, it’s all about side D. Keiji Haino is a monster musician and with O’Rourke and Ambarchi working out with him, it’s unbelievable what these three achieve.
Total Control – Typical System: It’s not like you have not heard this band before. I think the best way to check them out is on LP. What a band, what an album. The compositional strength of the songs, how well the sounds are blended, it’s a great piece of work. I think we have listened to almost every song on this album over the last several months but hearing them all together, just fantastic.
Cloudland Canyon – Lie in Light: It’s been awhile since we listened to this excellent band on the show. We’ll have to fix that. It had been awhile since I had put on one of their records. I got into this band years ago and I am not remembering how I found out about them, could very well have been Engineer X. Very cool and spaced out music this band makes. I don’t know if I have all of their records but I have a few and they’re all great.
I hope you like tonight’s show and STAY FANATIC!!!
01. Ty Segall Band – Wave Goodbye / Live In San Francisco
02. Jack Name – Running After Ganymede / Weird Moons
03. Wand – Take Me Back To The Void / single
04. Ausmuteants – Ausmuteant / single
05. Deerhoof – Running Thoughts / The Runners Four
06. Electric Eels – Cyclotron / Die Electric Eels
07. Lower Plenty – Life/Thrills / Life/Thrills
08. Alan Vega – Sucker / Power on to Zero Hour
09. Charley Patton – It Won't Be Long / The Definitive
10. Pere Ubu – Street Waves / The Modern Dance
11. Pentagram – When The Screams Come / First Daze Here
12. Ata Ebtakar aka Sote – Pictures Of A Whisper / Persian Electronic Music
13. Cheap Time – Slow Variety / Exit Smiles
14. Charles Edward Cheese Band – White Unicorn / Philosophy Of Rap
01. The Third Bardo – Five Years Ahead Of My Time / Trash Box
02. Clarence Edwards, Cornelius Edwards & Butch Cage – Thousand Miles From Nowhere / Country Negro Jam Session
03. Lost Sounds – Mechanical Feelings / Lost Sounds
04. The Ooga Boogas – Sentimental Stranger / Booga Box
05. Holland – Turpentine / Your Orgasm
06. Wolf Eyes – Track 01 / Asylum Style Vol. 05
07. The Ramones – Outsider / Subterranean Jungle
08. The Door And The Window – Dig / Detailed Twang
09. Dahga Bloom – Space Is The Place / No Curtains
10. Mel O'Dubhslaine – Never Mind The Punk, It's Bollocks / I Can Remember The Faces Of All The Grebs At My School
11. Au Ras Au Ras – The Great Nothing / The Great Nothing
12. Ulaan Markhor – Last Leaf of the Season / Spiral Horns, Black Onions, et al.
13. The Herms – Drop Out / Drop Out Vol. 1
14. The Warmers – The Beautiful Light / The Warmers
15. Meatbodies – Wahoo / Meatbodies
16. Lamppukello – Muista Olla Porosein / Kaahumatti Kaheskanneski, Yyjö Ite Yheskänneski
17. Devo – We're All Devo / Pioneers Who Got Scalped
18. The Cramps – Five Years Ahead Of My Time / How To Make A Monster
Email Henry at Henryontheradio@gmail.com.