RADIO BROADCAST #228
See also: Henry Rollins: Wacken 2013 or Bust
Fanatics! I can't believe our good fortune. Tonight, we have an awesome line up and all you have to do is let the music play. The first song I had planned was Johnny Dollar's version of “Action Packed” and went from there. The rest of the show made sense as one song lead to another. Sometimes when I am putting these together, some kind of momentum starts and it's almost like it's already been planned out and all I had to do was show up. I like it when that happens.
One of my favorite vocals is the Buddy Holly Cricket member Ivan (aka Jerry Alison) vocal on “Real Wild One”, which was apparently, a gentle poke at the vocal styings of Ricky Nelson. If you get a chance, check the live version of the song that Iggy did on American Idol a couple of years ago.
It's been a long time since we have played Farflung, so I thought we should get into some space jams, so I paired them up with Hawkwind and then the only logical place to go from there was to Captain Beyond.
For me, the track of the night is the one by Groupe El Azhar. When the beat drops in, it's all over!
You can see that we pulled down another track from that great re-issue Nommos by Craig Leon, found on the Superior Aqueduct label.
Some of you Fanatics might remember that now and then, we listen to a band called Romania, who apparently were two Washington D.C. area DJs. I picked up on the because they were on Teenbeat. I thought they were cool and somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I was looking around on the internets recently and found that they had a pre-Teenbeat EP called Low China. I managed to find one, and it has some tracks from their release on Teenbeat, Remodel but also has some different tracks that sound good, so I put one on at the bottom of our first hour.
We finish hour one with the Ty Segall album version of “Oh Mary,” not Segall's Slaughterhouse version. I think the original is a little noisier and rougher, so I thought that would be the way to go.
In hour two, we open with a great live Birthday Party track of one of their more obscure songs that I think they only did as a Peel Session called “Bully Bones.” I wanted to play you all a track from this record to make you aware that this album, which came out years ago, CD only has now been released on Beggars Banquet as a double LP. I helped the band put this one together many years ago, and it's great to see that it's on vinyl. Ripping versions of great songs. We have played some of the tracks on this release before, the 1982 Bremen show. I use my tape version because it has all the between song chatter that the CD leaves out. Anyway, there it is, new Birthday Party vinyl. The last time that band had a vinyl release was the 2LP version of all their Peel Sessions that came and went pretty fast, although you can still find copies now and then.
New track by The Mallard as well as a new release on In The Red by Bare Mutants. I don't know anything about them yet but they seem pretty cool.
Our middle set in hour 2 is dedicated to Finland. This music makes up a large portion of what I am listening to these days.
For the last part of the show, we somehow get from Archie Shepp to Eddie Kendricks. Fanatic, it's all in a Sunday night's work.
Until next week, enjoy your summer and STAY FANATIC!!!
See Henry's Tracklist Below
01. Die Cheerleader – Massive Tangled Muscle / Son Of Filth
02. The Rolling Stones – Hang Fire / Tattoo You
03. MC5 – The American Ruse / Back In The USA
04. Johnny Dollar – Action Packed / Mr. Action Packed
05. Ivan – Real Wild Child / Golden Age Of American Rock 'N' Roll – Vol. 6
06. The Adverts – Back From The Dead / Cast Of Thousands
07. Farflung – The Way The Sky Is / The Raven That Ate The Moon
08. Hawkwind – Standing At The Edge / Warrior On The Edge Of Time
09. Captain Beyond – Dancing Madly Backwards (On A Sea Of Air) / Captain Beyond
10. Groupe El Azhar – Mazal – Nesker Mazal / Algerian Proto 1970's – Rai Underground
11. Craig Leon – Donkeys Bearing Cups / Nommos
12. Doctor Mix And The Remix – Out Of The Question / Wall Of Noise
13. Romania – White Light / Low China
14. Ty Segall – Oh Mary / Ty Segall
01. The Birthday Party – Bully Bones / Live 81-82
02. Mallard – Just An Ending / Finding Meaning In Deference
03. Bare Mutants – The Fire In Your Hands / The Affliction
04. Rites of Spring – Patience / All Through A Life EP
05. Embrace – Dance of Days / Embrace
06. The Warmers – Totally Free / Wanted: More
07. Monty Python – Finland / Contractual Obligation Album
08. Uton – Track 05 / The August Light
09. Aan – Sarastaja / Parantavassa Kehdossa
10. Kemialliset Ystävät – Kellari Juniversumi / Kellari Juniversumi
11. Kiila – Auringonlunta / Summer and Smiles of Finland
12. Archie Shepp – In A Sentimental Mood / On This Night
13. Emeralds – Double Helix / Does It Look Like I'm Here?
14. Gene Chandler – Duke Of Earl / The Doo Wop Box II
15. Pseudo Existors – Beyond The Zone / Stamp Out Normality
16 – Eddie Kendricks – Keep on Truckin'
Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.