Among the ingestible injustices of the world, high on the annoyance scale is being reminded — as we will be next week when Deschutes brewers will be in town from Oregon for their week-long “Base Camp” (really?) marketing campaign at local bars and restaurants — that when an energy drink company expands, we are drowned in free samples of undrinkable neon green concoctions at farmers markets and festivals. Yet when breweries announce they are expanding, more often than not we get to pay for the privilege of tasting that Abyss we've long been wanting to try, all while enduring sightings of cutesy promo gimmicks like “Woody,” Deschutes' over-sized beer barrel that is hauled across the county hitched to the back of a pickup truck for these very sorts of events. Open container laws, it seems, have an unfortunate pocketbook consequences.
But hey, if we had an extra $75 for that beer tasting dinner at Rustic Canyon on Tuesday, April 12, we might make a chestnut and buckwheat mandilli pasta evening of it, too. Instead, you will likely find us at the only truly free Deschutes tasting next week at High Time Wine Cellars on the afternoon of Friday, April 15th (all other bar events will be like any other night out — you can ask for a free taste before you purchase a pint; some locations may also have special tasting pours). Turn the page for next week's Base Camp event schedule.
Deschutes Base Camp, The Los Angeles Edition
– Beer tasting with a Deschutes brewer at Verdugo Bar with Woody, 6 p.m. to close. Beer for purchase.
– Five course beer pairing dinner with Christina Perozzi at Rustic Canyon, 6 to 10 p.m., $75, tickets required.
– Specialty beer tasting at the Surly Goat with Woody, 6 p.m. to close. Beer for purchase.
– Craft beer and whiskey tastings at Seven Grand, 6 to 8 p.m. Beer for purchase.
– Food and beer pairing luncheon at Hot's Kitchen with Woody, Noon to 3 p.m., Beer and food for purchase.
– Deschutes night at Congregation Ale House with Woody, 4 p.m. to close. Beer for purchase.
– In-store tasting at Hi-Time Wine Cellars with Woody, 12 to 3 p.m. FREE.
– Specialty beer and food pairing at Side Door with Woody, 5 p.m. to close. Beer and food for purchase.
– Deschutes night at Pizza Port in San Clemente with Woody, 5 p.m. to close. Beer for purchase.
Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.