1. I miss my friends — oh, fuck my friends. It’s the sky I miss — well, the
sunsets. I usually see them from a freeway.
2. The sights and smells in Griffith Park on my daily bike rides up there. Especially
from the eucalyptus trees and that licorice-smelling plant. What’s it called?
3. Good radio — I can’t think of any place that beats ours. Especially Chris
Douridas, when he does his thing.
4. The fact that I can make money in L.A. doing TV-film that supports my nonprofit
performance art–theater work. I get to be an artist here. What a gift!
5. The Malibu Hindu Temple (1600 Las Virgenes Canyon Rd., Calabasas,
818-880-5552). You take your shoes off and go to the various shrines on
the grounds and visit their levels. Every now and then they bathe all the deities.
It’s very peaceful — and open to the public.
6. Driving with my moon roof open on a gorgeous night. It doesn’t matter what
time of year. Winter, spring — I like them all, but I’ve always enjoyed summer
7. I appreciate my spacious digs here in Los Feliz (especially when I’m in N.Y.)
and having a pool to dip in on hot summer nights.
8. Some really good Mexican Food — I usually get the señora combinations because
I like to break those gender stereotypes. And you get an enchilada and a taco
with them. El Chavo (4441 W. Sunset Blvd., Los Feliz, 323-664-0871)
is pretty good and El Conquistador (3701 W. Sunset Blvd., Silver Lake,
323-666-5136) has the combination, too.
9. The beach, the mountains, the desert — it’s a Nature Smorgasbord here! It’s
the desert in spring for the wildflowers and the mountains in the summer to
get away from the heat.
10. Chinese Theater and the Marilyn, Elvis and Zorro impersonators out front.
Some of these guys look like they’ve been here a hundred years. I wonder what
the pecking order is. Do they get paid? What if five Marilyns showed up — would
they fight? Maybe I’ll be doing this in 10 years.