Long Beach natives and restaurateurs Phil and Lauren Pretty have restored a charming 1922 craftsman into the Heritage Sandwich Shop. The shop is open for outdoor dining and to go orders, featuring menu items like their smoked brisket sandwich made with fermented pickles, cole slaw and green garlic aioli on country bread and their line-caught halibut sandwich with tartare sauce, gem lettuce and pickles on brioche.
The building has been home to a coffee shop, taqueria, and palm reader; the brother and sister team have now transformed it into a modern farmhouse concept with bright white walls and emerald green accents. A live-edge Ashwood bar top serves as the focal point of the airy space dotted with greenery and the patio offers picnic tables safely spaced between olive trees.
Other signature items include a smoked wild salmon Caesar and a market heirloom tomato wrap with whipped dill cream cheese, avocado, toasted sunflower seeds, pea sprouts and pickled Fresno chilis.
Just in time for your upcoming Labor Day BBQ, chef Phil shared the recipe for one of his popular sides in this video: deviled eggs garnished with crispy chicken skin.
Heritage Sandwich Shop Deviled Eggs
- 12 dozen hard boiled eggs
- 1 small shallot (diced)
- 6 chives (minced)
- 12 parsley leaves (finely chopped)
- 3 sprigs of dill (finely chopped)
- 1 TBSP diced pickles
- 1 TSP chopped capers
- 2 TBSP mayonnaise
- Lemon juice (usually 1 squeeze)
- Your favorite hot sauce (to taste)
- Crispy chicken skin or bacon
- Hard boil eggs, peel eggs once boiled. Cut peeled eggs in half and pop out cooked yolk. Crisp bacon or chicken skin while eggs are boiling.
- To make mixture, combine cooked egg yolks, chive, parsley, dill, pickles, mayo and lemon in large mixing bowl, mixing/stirring until thoroughly mixed.
- In a piping bag or with a spoon, add yolk mixture into the halved eggs.
- Top with desired amount of hot sauce, garnish with shallot and bacon/chicken skin.