On Wednesday L.A. Weekly reached out to the Pasadena-based National Hispanic Media Coalition to see if it wanted to weigh in on the pro golf tour's continued ties to Donald Trump and some of his courses, which include the Trump National Golf Club Los Angeles in Rancho Palos Verdes.
NHMC CEO Alex Nogales, who had already played a role in pressuring NBC Universal to sever ties with the mogul over his controversial remarks about Mexican immigrants, responded by threatening to organize a boycott of PGA events if pro golf didn't end its relationship with Trump.
The 33rd PGA Grand Slam of Golf is scheduled to take place at Trump's Rancho Palos Verdes course Oct. 19-21.
“If they want a boycott for supporting a racist, we will have to accommodate them,” Nogales told us. “We cannot allow this to stand. It's right in our backyard. He has a lot of Latinos working there.”
On Thursday the NHMC doubled down on its displeasure with pro golf, stating that it had sent a letter to the PGA …
… asking it to suspend its relationship with Donald Trump and his business enterprises due to the racist comments he made about the Latino community during his presidential announcement speech on June 16.
While the PGA of America, PGA Tour, LPGA, and USGA collectively expressed displeasure with his comments, the PGA is just about the last major brand sticking with Trump following his immigration remarks. NBC Universal, Macy's, Univision, Televisa, New York City, Serta and Ora TV have severed ties with the GOP presidential candidate.
“Imagine how it feels for Latino golf enthusiasts, players and powerless golf course employees across the country to hear themselves and their family members referred to as criminals and rapists by a person that the PGA has elevated to a prominent position in the golf community,” Nogales said.
Last night the NHMC said it received a phone call from the chief counsel for the Trump Organization. The attorney threatened that the NHMC would be sued if it “does not cease its advocacy efforts,” the nonprofit stated:
NHMC will not stand down in its defense of the American Latino community, especially against the racist statements Trump made during his June 16 Presidential announcement.
The group, known for pressuring Hollywood to diversify its workforce, said Tom Saenz, president and general counsel of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (MALDEF), has agreed to represent it if Trump sues.