World War II veterans and their families attend a mass meeting in which they ask the city to let them remain housed in Rodger Young Village. The temporary village of 6,000, located in Griffith Park and consisting of Quonset huts erected on concrete floors provided badly needed housing for returning servicemen after 1946. It was also the most racially integrated neighborhood in L.A. (click on photo below), much to the displeasure of nearby segregated restaurants. The village closed in 1954 — today the L.A. Zoo and Gene Autry Museum occupy its old site.