Not that we didn't know this already. Or that we're very proud of it, in the end.
But for better or worse, the Daily Beast has compiled a list the top 10 reality-TV earners, and over half are living (at least part-time) right here in the entertainment capital of the world. [Full list of salaries after the jump.] Apparently, people like to see exorbitant, filthy-rich Angelenos floss their teeth and sit in their SUVs all day as if 20 million TV diners weren't watching.
The fact that all three Kardashian sisters and two ambitious “Hills” honeys are on there certainly gives us a leg up…
… though they're unnaturally offset by the Jersey factor. In fact, L.A. would probably steal eight of 10 spots if it weren't for America's sudden spray-tan fetish in 2010.
The Beast waxes thoughtful in its examination of the 10 young-money normaltons, speculating that the highest earners are actually quite hard-working. It takes intense concentration to master that balance of girl-next-door and larger-than-life screen princess, all while making people forget you never actually did anything to become famous in the first place:
“While Paris' notoriety centered on stupidity, which she flaunted with such aplomb it was hard to know whether it was a disguise or her actual disposition, Kardashian never appears undone, either physically or professionally. Her talent is maintaining a glamorous sheen while napping or eating a hamburger and her fame hinges on her ability to keep it all together.”
The list in full, with estimated annual incomes. L.A.-ites are in bold:
1. Kim Kardashian (“Keeping Up With the Kardashians”), $6 million
2. Lauren Conrad (“The Hills”), $5 million
3. Bethenny Frankel (“Real Housewives of New York City”), $4 million
4. Audrina Partridge (“The Hills”), $3.5 million
5. Kate Gosselin (“Jon & Kate Plus 8”), $3.5 million
6. Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino (“Jersey Shore”), $3 million
7. Khloe Kardashian (“Keeping Up With the Kardashians”), $2.5 million
8. Kourtney Kardashian (“Keeping Up With the Kardashians”), $2.5 million
9. DJ Pauly D (“Jersey Shore”), $2 million
10. Kendra Wilkinson (“Kendra”), $2 million
OK — you can go back to watching “Kourtney and Khloe Do Miami” slack-jawed now, like surging statewide unemployment ain't even a thang. 'Cause that's just how we do.
Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.