Two people apparently checking out a possible gas leak in a utility closet were burned when the room exploded this morning, fire officials said.

It happened at the Sport Chalet at La Cañada Flintridge's Town Center mall, an L.A. County Fire Department official told us. The two suffered “flash burns,” and were taken to Huntington Memorial Hospital.

It was reported …

… at 9:59 a.m., the fire official said.

View Larger Map

Two utility workers had been checking out the smell of natural gas in a closet that housed circuit breakers, according the department. That's when the explosion apparently happened.

It's not clear if the circuit breakers caused the blast, the fire official said. An arson investigator was at the scene this afternoon.

Damage was confined to the closet and the rest of the store was safe, the source said.

The workers' condition was unknown.

[@dennisjromero / / @LAWeeklyNews]

LA Weekly