In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- “Imagine a hot dog taken to its architectural extremes, layered with avocado, pineapple relish, cilantro, onions, tomatoes, crushed potato chips and a latticework of squeeze bottle spreads — garlic mayonnaise, mustard and a chile-spiked fancy sauce, among other things.” Hot Dog Heaven: Return of the Super Perro.
- ”The good news is that a reasonably priced omakase experience is entirely possible — in fact, many sushi chefs are more than content to customize a meal based around your optimal budget and tastes. It might not be as inexpensive as sushi that comes off a conveyor belt, but you won't be dropping entire paychecks either.” L.A.'s 4 Best Bargain Omakase + The “Jiro Effect.”
- “Outstanding in the Field is the Rolling Thunder Revue of underground suppers. Those who like table-to-farm eating as much as the farm-to-table sort will be stoked to learn that the organization has revealed its 2012 calendar and will begin selling tickets on Tuesday, March 20.” Outstanding in the Field 2012: Ticket on Sale Soon.
- “Because sometimes you want that chicken with a side of kimchi pancakes or Japanese pub grub, we threw in a few suggestions that will satisfy your craving by way of Koreatown or the local izakaya.” Fried Chicken Flowchart: Where to Go for Fried Chicken, American and Otherwise.
- “It's not a special occasion, your parents just miss you and want to treat you to a good dinner and catch up. Awww.” 5 Places to Eat When Your Parents Are Treating.
- ”The latest addition to the list of things that can send you to an untimely grave: red meat.” Red Meat Linked to Premature Death, Study Shows.
- “Sick of hearing 'yucky' when you set food in front of your offspring?” What Chefs Feed Their Kids + A Recipe for Josiah Citrin's Potato Chip-Crusted Chicken Tenders.
- “You've shopped the Grove till your brain can't tell boots from a bra. You've pushed your way through the Original Farmers Market, too. Let's face it. You need a drink.” Planet Dailies and Mixology101 Opens Today + A Recipe for the Spicy Fifty.