A Long Beach man met women on Craigslist and forced them into prostitution, federal authorities alleged today.
Roshaun “Kevin” Nakia Porter, 36, was indicted last week after five women told agents they met him on Craigslist or seekingarrangements.com thinking they were headed for a romantic one-on-one relationship, according to the FBI's L.A. office.
Instead they ended up walking the streets of Orange County, feds say:
The women told the agents their story after they were caught up in an April 3 prostitution sting operation in Santa Ana, according to the FBI. He was arrested April 10 after, prosecutors say, he sent text messages and left voice mails threatening violence if the women left him.
Local police, suspecting a sex trafficking ring, brought in the feds: The victims said that he threatened to hurt their families if they tried to leave.
In one of the voice messages, according to the indictment, Porter says:
I know everything about you … I know where your mama's staying … My boys know who you are … they know what you look like.
According to a summary of the complaint against Porter:
The victims claimed they responded to Porter's ads and believed they were entering into a monogamous relationship with Porter. The women claimed that, after Porter maintained a romantic relationship with them, he forced them to work as prostitutes. Victims claimed they had no means to support themselves and that they lived and worked in hotels in Orange County while they worked for Porter, according to the complaint.
Prosecutors say he charged $100 for 15 minutes of sex, $150 for 30 minutes, and up to $300 for an hour, with all the cash going to Porter.
In a March voice mail message to one of the victims, Porter allegedly said:
I field my hustle for you to work at least $1,000 a day. So how much did you make today? How much you make? $680? That means you owe me $340 … because my time is money.
The indictment charges Porter with two counts of forced labor and two counts of sex trafficking. He could face life in prison if convicted.
His trial is set for June 19.