On August 28, the Department of Trasportation (LADOT), who consistently claims to have Aneglenos' best interests in mind, started to enforce a city-wide ban on “apron” parking. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this L.A. staple, “apron” parking is when a car is parked on the long section of driveway from the street to the sidewalk.
The City has been handing out $60 tickets all over the city since the ban, and residents are getting angry.
Orchestrated by the blog STOP LADOT, protests will go down at five different sites across the city on September 25. Los Feliz, Westwood, Mar Vista, Miracle Mile, and Pacific Palisades have agreed to participate, and organizer Liz McDonald says the area around USC might protest too.
McDonald says that thousands of people use apron parking to alleviate the city's terrible parking shortages.
“The protests weren't loud enough the first time at Westwood,” says McDonald referencing the first time the city thought to ban apron parking. “They can't not listen to us if we are loud enough. They have to create a solution and an ordinance change.”
Simone Wilson's blog on the ban earlier this month reported that McDonald believes that L.A. City Attorney Carmen Trutanich felt pressure to ban apron spots because of three class-action lawsuits that expose handicap accessibility violations.
McDonald thinks that there was an urban planning agenda behind the lawsuits. She says that urban planners from UCLA have told her to get rid of her cars and her problems would be solved. But, like most Angelenos, she says she needs her car to get around.
More than 100 people have signed up to protest so far, and McDonald expects 100 more by Sunday. She says that around 400 people have signed her petition to be get the apron parking spots back, and that “more signatures are coming in by the day.”