- Facing the Muzak General Growth Properties Inc., the mall-owning corporation that owns the Glendale Galleria and Northridge Fashion Center, has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, becoming the largest real estate bankruptcy in U.S. history. L.A. Times
- Hospital Triage The national streak of gunmen running amok and shooting people continued Thursday, as a pharmacy employee at Long Beach Memorial Medical Center killed two supervisors before committing suicide. Long Beach Press-Telegram
- Up in Smoke Pasadena officials estimate that a three-alarm fire that burned a warehouse down Wednesday night will cost the city more than $1 million in destroyed vehicles, infrastructure and equipment losses. No cause has been determined. Pasadena Star-News
- Spears Peeper Nabbed Sheriff's deputies arrested a 26-year-old woman, who was wearing camouflage clothing and carrying a camera, as she peered into singer Britney Spear's Calabasas home today. Associated Press
- Surf's Up Former Los Angeles surfer turned clothing magnate Dick Baker has died of colon cancer. Baker revived the faltering Ocean Pacific surf-fashion company in the 1990s, restoring the brand to its preeminent position among aficionados of laid-back styles. Associated Press
- Gun Ban Considered Friday's meeting of the L.A. City Council will consider prohibiting people convicted of gang or firearms misdemeanors from owning guns for 10 years.
Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.