- Not in My Back Sky The U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has blocked Santa Monica's ban of fast private jets from its municipal airport — until an FAA review of the proposed restrictions is finished. L.A. Times
- Ports o' No Call L.A.'s twin harbors can expect a 13.5 percent drop in traffic this year. On the bright side, according to the L.A. County Economic Development Corp., the downturn should be a brief one. L.A. Daily News
- Bernard Melekian, Action Figure Pasadena's off-duty police chief chased an alleged drunk driver, who'd abandoned a crashed vehicle on the 101 Freeway, into a Santa Barbara RV camp. Although the man then commandeered a bicycle, Melekian made his collar and held the perp until Santa Barbara cops took him away. No word on what Melekian was doing in Santa Barbara. Daily Sound
- Lakewood Kids Get Dizzy Eight Mayfair High School students were hospitalized after popping unidentified pills allegedly brought in by one of the students. Long Beach Press-Telegram
- Mayor Shows Budget Ax L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa asked the City Council Tuesday to speed up approval of 26-day unpaid city employee furloughs, as well as 1,000 layoffs, to help plug a $529 million budget deficit. Associated Press
- Hazardous Candle Recall High-end boutique candles made by DayNa Decker of Los Angeles are being recalled because glass holders in the company's Botanika line have broken — with some fires resulting. Associated Press, U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.