- Lakers Triumph, Micro-Riot Quelled The L.A. Lakers won their 10th NBA championship as a Los Angeles team, in Orlando, Florida last night, while at home jubilant fans set fires and vandalized cars. Police arrested at least 25 people near Staples Center downtown and, in a smaller action, in the Crenshaw District. L.A. Daily News, L.A. Times
- LAPD Seek Oversight End Police officials will ask a U.S. District judge today to lift the consent decree that has placed the department under federal scrutiny since 2001. Associated Press
- Cigarette Tax Proposal Los Angeles state senator Alex Padilla will propose a $1.50 per pack cigarette tax this week. Associated Press
- Prince William House-Hunting in Malibu Prince William of Wales and his girlfriend, heiress Kate Middleton, have looked at a home recently purchased by a third party, leading to speculation of a Cali Palace for the young royal. Real Estate Channel.com via L.A. Observed
- Lesbian Cop's Suit to Air Today A civil suit filed against the LAPD by Shelby Feldmeier is scheduled to begin trial today. Feldmeier alleges she was harassed and her complaints ignored by a superior. City News Service (subscription required)
- Fiery Accident Closes Ramp A fuel tanker explosion has shut the transition ramp of the eastbound 91 Freeway to the northbound 710 Freeway. The tanker's driver was killed Saturday when his vehicle plunged off the ramp and ignited. The ramp remains closed from fears of structural damage. San Gabriel Valley Tribune
Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.