When experts warn, don't try this at home, they really mean it.

The latest example: Three men were badly burned in Monrovia over the weekend after, cops say, they tried and failed to convert marijuana into a potent and syrupy form of hash known as honey oil.

The trio was using butane, authorities say, in a dangerous and highly flammable process:

The fire and preceding explosion were reported about 5 a.m. Sunday in the 200 block of East Walnut Avenue, authorities told the San Gabriel Valley Tribune and insidesocal.com.

View Larger Map

The Tribune reported that neighbors said one of the victims might have actually been on fire before rescuers arrived.

The three were all hospitalized in critical condition, officials said.

The site insidesocal says several spraypaint-sized cans of butane were believed to the source.

The Tribune says two of the victims lived at the home and the third appeared to be a visitor. The paper said two paper grocery bags full of weed were found at the residence.

Hash and honey oil, which are more potent that most pot, are available at some medical marijuana dispensaries in the L.A. area and appear to be popular with those who use cigarette-sized, electronic “vaporizers.”

[@dennisjromero / djromero@laweekly.com / @LAWeeklyNews]

Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.