It's been a while since we've heard of a good marijuana-concentrate explosion.
The production of honey oil, hash oil, concentrates, waxes and “dabs” made cannabis culture look like a scene out of Breaking Bad just last year. The products are made, in part, by dousing low-grade marijuana in butane. The resulting product has been called the crack of cannabis – thick, potent, and waxy.
But using butane, flammable as it is, has its downsides, like blowing shit up:
Early last year, as concentrates started to really take hold at local marijuana dispensaries, there was a series of explosions and fires related to the production of these products.
Lately the destruction has mellowed out, even as concentrates have grown to become 40 percent of some dispensaries' sales. Some shops only use concentrates from professional labs.
But Beavis & Butthead in the city of Commerce didn't get the message.
The L.A. County Sheriff's Department today reported that a Wednesday fire at a home in the 2300 block of Ayers Avenue turned out to be related to a “butane honey oil extraction laboratory,” according to a statement.
Deputies say that two alleged geniuses, ages 18 and 21, were making concentrates when some of the butane they were using exploded:
Several butane bottles were located inside the home and it appears that one of these bottles may have exploded, causing the fire.
Oops. The two dudes had to be treated for burns, authorities said. And then they were treated to handcuffs, although cops say the “investigation is on-going.” The suspects were not ID'd.
Damage to the residence was estimated at $300,000. No honey oil production session could be worth that much.