The PGA was one of the last holdouts among major American brands that have ties to GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump.
NBC Universal, Univision, Macy's, NASCAR and other concerns walked away from business deals with the real estate mogul over his controversial remarks about Mexican immigrants.
But for days the PGA stood fast. And pressure mounted.
We noted early on that the pro golf tour had planned to host its Grand Slam of Golf at Trump National Golf Club Los Angeles in Rancho Palos Verdes in October. One out of every two people in L.A. County is Latino. The day after Trump's June 16 remarks — he said Mexican immigrants were criminals and “rapists” — L.A. Weekly began inquiries about the billionaire's local course.
We drew the National Hispanic Media Coalition, which had helped to pressure NBC to end its relationship with Trump, into the story, and the group threatened to organize a boycott of PGA events.
Today the PGA caved and announced it's moving the Grand Slam of Golf to a yet-to-be-announced club. According to a statement:
The PGA of America met with Donald J. Trump yesterday and the parties mutually agreed that it is in the best interest of all not to conduct the 2015 PGA Grand Slam of Golf at Trump National — Los Angeles. The PGA of America is in the process of exploring options, including a venue for its annual PGA Junior League Golf Championship, and will comment further at the appropriate time.
Last year the golf tour announced a deal that includes events at Trump's other courses, so this appears to be a case-by-case relocation.
The National Hispanic Media Coalition's CEO, Alex Nogales, told us today that the PGA “did the right thing” by pulling out of Trump's Los Angeles area club.
“We'll applaud them for that,” he said. “Do they really want a mob of Mexicans at the golf course?”
He said the job's not done, however. The NHMC will continue to pressure organizations that have scheduled tournaments at Trump's Rancho Palos Verdes course to pull out, he said.
“It's not over.”