On Thursday, Dec. 3, California Governor Gavin Newsom announced new modifications for a regional stay-at-home order. Newsom explained that this broad and comprehensive approach would target regions where ICU capacity could fall below 15 percent.
Our ICUs are climbing quickly toward their capacity. Our death rate is rising.
To slow the surge of #COVID19 and save lives, CA is introducing a Regional Stay-At-Home Order.
Regions where ICU capacity⁰fall below 15% will be placed into this Stay-at-Home Order ⁰for 3 weeks.
— Gavin Newsom (@GavinNewsom) December 3, 2020
Thursday’s announcement comes a day after California recorded its highest daily total of COVID-19 cases — 20,795.
On Thursday, Orange County reported 1,102 new COVID-19 cases with eight new deaths, bringing the county’s death toll to 1,586.
On Thursday, The Orange County Health Care Agency website indicated that the county’s ICU capacity was only 17 percent. Newsom added that projections indicated that Southern California would drop below 15 percent in early December.
Of the five regions between Northern and Southern California, Newsom said he expects four to meet regional stay-at-home requirements within the next few days.
The regional stay-at-home order will be similar to the state’s original Safer At Home order issued earlier this year in March.
Newsom’s new regional stay-at-home order goes into effect when a region falls below 15 percent remaining ICU capacity.
Under the new order, non-essential businesses like, bars, wineries along with hair salons, barbershops and personal services must temporarily close for at least three weeks.
“Here’s what we are introducing today, regions where the ICU capacity is falling below 15 percent we are mandating a stay at home order for three weeks,” Newsom said during a press conference on Thursday, Dec. 3.
The order also restricts non-essential travel statewide. Primarily, the Governor explained, that the purpose of the regional stay at home order is, “fundamentally predicated on the need to stop gathering with people outside of your household.”
“It prohibits private gatherings of any size, closes sector operations except for critical infrastructure and retail, and requires 100% masking and physical distancing in all others,” according to the COVID-19.ca.gov website.
A list of all counties and regions under the order was posted to COVID-19.ca.gov website:
- Northern California: Del Norte, Glenn, Humboldt, Lake, Lassen, Mendocino, Modoc, Shasta, Siskiyou, Tehama, Trinity
- Bay Area: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Monterey, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Solano, Sonoma
- Greater Sacramento: Alpine, Amador, Butte, Colusa, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, Sierra, Sutter, Yolo, Yuba
- San Joaquin Valley: Calaveras, Fresno, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, San Benito, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Tulare, Tuolumne
- Southern California: Imperial, Inyo, Los Angeles, Mono, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura
However, there are sectors, like restaurants, that will remain open under the state’s new regional stay-at-home order. While indoor and outdoor dinning will not be allowed during the order, takeout, curbside pick up and delivery will still be accessible.
Schools will also remain open will waivers. Retail businesses can also remain open at 20 percent of maximum capacity.