KCRW BROADCAST #202
Fanatics! I hope you enjoyed last week's pledge drive madness. We tried to keep it as much fun as possible. I think Young Will Bentley and I did pretty well with our Blues number. Thanks for re-upping your membership and giving to the L.A. Food Bank. That's what it's all about. We will not be bugging you again for another six months, so thank you for enduring it. If money grew on trees, believe me, we wouldn't be asking so often.
Now that we have the funds raised for a little while, we can get back to the reason we all get together on the radio. The music is always the star of this show, and tonight it's all good, all night long.
If you notice in our first hour, we have some of that new Miles Davis release, from the bootleg series. Here is my write up about it from the L.A. Weekly a few weeks back:
The Miles Davis Quintet – Live In Europe 1969. The Bootleg Series Vol 2: You get three CDs and a DVD of one of Miles' most powerful line-ups. Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Dave Holland and Jack DeJohnette. They all played together on the Bitches Brew sessions in 1969 and 1970 but not in this exact configuration. What you have here is one lean and mean touring unit and damn, are they great! You get to hear Bitches Brew tracks right before Miles recorded them a few weeks later.
About this line up, Miles said this to Quincy Troupe in an interview for the book, Miles The Autobiography: “I took the band out on the road; Wayne, Dave, Chick and Jack DeJohnette were now my working band. Man, I wish this band had been recorded live because it was really a bad motherfucker.”
Indeed. Some of you have perhaps heard some of these recordings on bootlegs. I was picking them up in Germany years ago but these versions sound way better. Hell, it's worth it just to hear DeJohnette work out on “Footprints” from 1967's Miles Smiles album. Thanks to Columbia and the Miles Estate for rolling out such a worthwhile release for the fans. Superb.
It is a great one and it's out now, so if you like what you hear tonight, this is a great one. Also, a new, well, it can't be all that new but a newly re-released Sun Ra show from 1974. Original Sun Ra records are rare and expensive. I am grateful for all the reissues that allow the rest of us to get a listen. I sent away to England to get it and the CD arrived last week.
As you might know, Reg Presley of the Troggs passed away a few days ago. We will play a couple tracks tonight in tribute. One is in our first hour, Doctor Mix & the Remix covering I “Can't Control Myself,” a Troggs song and at the top of our second hour, we will check out a cool Troggs single called “The Night of the Long Grass.”
I think tonight's most interesting tack is the Billie Holiday selection right after Black Sabbath (I love this show!). You hear Billie and the band working out on “Everything Happens to Me,” very cool. If you notice, way at the bottom, there is a new track by Gibby Haynes of the Butthole Surfers. Jack White's label Third Man sent it to me a couple of days ago and so I thought we could use a slice from this tree track EP in our set.
You know these shows are made one song at a time. Fresh, never frozen. I hope you enjoy tonight's brief two hours. We will be back with more goodies next week, until then, have a great night and STAY FANATIC!!! –Henry
See Henry's tracklist below:
01. The Dominic Frontiere Orchestra – Spaceship Crash & Capture / The Outer Limits
02. The Stooges – T.V. Eye / Fun House
03. The MC5 – The American Ruse / Back in The USA
04. The Ruts – In A Rut / The Punk Singles Collection
05. Doctor Mix & The Remix – I Can't Control Myself / Wall Of Sound
06. Miles Davis Quintet – Footprints (France 7/25/72) / Bootleg Vol. 2
07. Sun Ra – The World Of Africa / Cosmo Earth Fantasy
08. Googoosh – Mano Tou / Googoosh
09. Rowland S. Howard – Shut Me Down / Pop Crimes
10. Harry Howard And The NDE – By Our Own Hand / Near Death Experience
11. Gene Defcon – Misunderstood Vampire / Throw Up & Die
12. Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band – My Brother Makes the Noises for the Talkies / Gorilla
01. The Troggs – The Night Of The Long Grass / single
02. Black Sabbath – N.I.B. / Live Evil
03. Billie Holiday – Everything Happens To Me / Complete Recordings on Verve 1945-1959
04. Thee Oh Sees – Meat Step Lively / Help
05. Chrissy Zebby Tembo – Trouble Maker / My Ancestors
06. Man City Lion – Ghost In Ghost Out / Thai Funk – Zud Rang Ma Vol. 2
07. The Fall – Kimble / Complete Peel Sessions
08. Tenor Saw – Ring the Alarm / single
09. The Hawnay Troof – Give Me Something / Daggers At The Moon
10. The Sweet – Love Is Like Oxygen – Best Of
11. Fats Waller And His Rhythm – Fat And Greasy / Last Years (1940-1943)
12. Ween – I Don't Wanna Leave You On The Farm / 12 Golden Country Greats
13. Gibby Haynes – You Don't Have To Be Smart / EP
14. National Lampoon – Cheech & Chong Parody / National Lampoon Radio Hour box set
15. The Dominic Frontiere Orchestra – End Title / The Outer Limits – End Title