Los Angeles Dodger pitcher Trevor Bauer spoke on the sexual assault allegations against him for the first time since mid-August.
Bauer has been away from the team since July 2, in accordance with Major League Baseball’s domestic violence and sexual assault policy, but has continually called the allegations against him false and misleading.
“I look forward to speaking about the false and materially misleading allegations in the future,” Bauer said through his personal YouTube account. “One legal matter has been resolved. The judge’s legal detailed decision is available and it speaks for itself.”
Bauer added that there is a “pending matter” that he could not address.
The Dodger ace said he would restart his baseball content as the MLB postseason continues, something he did regularly before the case.
The temporary restraining order from the Ohio woman was first granted on June 28, after she accused Bauer of punching her in the face, buttocks and vagina, as well as choking her to the point of losing consciousness, according to reports from the Athletic.
The woman said the acts began as consensual, but there were acts in the encounter that were not consensual.
Bauer’s legal representation responded to the restraining order by saying:
“Mr. Bauer had a brief and wholly consensual sexual relationship initiated by [the woman] beginning in April 2021. We have messages that show [her] repeatedly asking for ‘rough’ sexual encounters involving requests to be ‘choked out’ and slapped in the face. In both of their encounters, [the woman] drove from San Diego to Mr. Bauer’s residence in Pasadena, Calif. where she went on to dictate what she wanted from him sexually and he did what was asked. Following each of her only two meetings with Mr. Bauer, [the woman] spent the night and left without incident, continuing to message Mr. Bauer with friendly and flirtatious banter. In the days following their second and final encounter, [the woman] shared photos of herself and indicated that she had sought medical care for a concussion. Mr. Bauer responded with concern and confusion, and [the woman] was neither angry nor accusatory.”
The previous time Bauer publicly spoke on the case was on August 14, addressing what he called attempts to create “false narratives” by the Washington Post.
Bauer said the Washington post contacted hundreds of women they believed had romantic relationships with the player.
“Despite my representatives providing a wealth of contradictory evidence, documents, statements, and background information showing the pattern of disturbing behavior by this woman and her attorneys, The Washington Post opted to ignore much of this information and to run a salacious story disseminating defamatory statements, false information, and baseless allegations from a woman who not only harassed and physically assaulted me, but who also attempted to extort me for millions of dollars last year in exchange for her not coming forward with false claims,” Bauer wrote in his August statement.
Bauer’s agent Rachel Luba added to Bauer’s message, writing on Twitter, “You may not like this, and as a female it was a tough reality I had to accept, but this is not uncommon when it comes to celebrities—this is yet another example of how people abuse the temporary DVRO [domestic violence restraining order] process in hopes of gaining publicity/money.”
Days later, the Los Angeles Superior Court judge rejected a permanent restraining order request, saying Bauer was not a threat to the woman.
In September, Bauer’s representatives said the pitcher would not rejoin the team the rest of the season in a “good faith” effort, and to “minimize any distraction to the Dodgers organization and his teammates.”
The Dodgers signed Bauer to a three-year, $102 million contract before the season started, making him the highest paid player in 2021.
As of this writing, Bauer has not been charged with any crimes.
Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.