A rare joint statement from the LAPD, FBI, Los Angeles World Airports, L.A. Fire Department and the Transportation Security Administration suggested that it was too early to come to conclusions about what happened at LAX Nov. 1 when a shooter went on a rampage that killed a TSA agent.

See also: Shooting at LAX Closes Terminal 3.

The release appeared to be a response to an Associated Press report, citing law enforcement sources, that says an LAPD officer might have blocked efforts to give medical aid to the fallen agent, and that the TSA worker lay wounded for 33 minutes before he was brought to paramedics:

The report came a day after the House Homeland Security Committee heard testimony about the LAX attack from TSA chief John S. Pistole, who said the LAX police response to the shooting happened within four minutes.

Four minutes of an active shooter going on a rampage, at a location where police are supposed to be stationed?

That seems to clash with LAX Police Chief Patrick M. Gannon's remark to reporters following the attack, claiming that his cops were rushing after the suspect within 60 seconds.

Committee Chairman Michael McCaul said he learned that an LAX cop who was supposed to be stationed at or near the checkpoint where the gunman started the rampage wasn't there at the time.

See also: Paul Ciancia's Condition Improves, But Will He Talk About LAX Attack?

A 23-year-old from southern New Jersey named Paul Ciancia was shot, hospitalized, arrested and charged following the 9:20 a.m. attack that killed one and injured at least four others, authorities said. He's been recovering at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center.

See also: Gerardo I. Hernandez, TSA Agent, Killed in LAX Attack.

In the AP story, officers announced that a suspect was in custody at 9:25 a.m. And the report also says, an LAPD officer …

…. checked on [TSA agent Gerardo] Hernandez several times, repeatedly telling officers who came by from various agencies that he was dead, according to one of the law enforcement officials.

Credit: Paul Ciancia via the FBI

Credit: Paul Ciancia via the FBI

We reached out to the president of the LAX police union, Marshall McClain, but had yet to hear back.

The joint statement, distributed by the LAPD, indicates that authorities represented by the release believe some of the allegations in the report are true and that some are lies:

Various statements have been made regarding the incident, some of which are untrue and others that merit serious consideration by our respective agencies. Numerous actions are underway relative to this incident and the ensuing response. These include the federal criminal investigation, officer-involved-shooting investigation, and an After Action Workgroup that is rigorously analyzing all aspects of the multidiscipline response.

… We ask for your patience as we move through this process.

Send feedback and tips to the author. Follow Dennis Romero on Twitter at @dennisjromero. Follow LA Weekly News on Twitter at @laweeklynews.

LA Weekly