See also: Chief Beck's Hit-and-Run Crisis.

The daughter of an LAPD sergeant was in hot water for allegedly killing a man in a hit and run and then filing a false police report in connection with the case. Her father attempted to block a news crew from videotaping his daughter in a confrontation caught on tape. (See video on the next page.)

Vanessa Yanez, 22, was arrested Wednesday and released, according to cops and inmate records. Here's what the Gardena Police Department alleges she did:

About 9:52 p.m. on June 26, police say, Yanez was behind the wheel of a car that hit 60-year-old Jesse Dotson as rode his bike on El Segundo Boulevard near Vermont Avenue in Gardena.

Dotson was taken to Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, where he died three days later, cops said.

View Larger Map

At first detectives weren't sure who did it. But after police issued a plea for tips in the case, a car connected to the collision was found about a mile from the scene thanks to the help of a neighboring police department.

That happened June 29, the day Dotson died, police said.

That car reportedly belongs to longtime LAPD Sgt. Arturo Yanez, but it was his daughter who was arrested in connection with the case Wednesday, police said.

The Daily Breeze says the younger Yanez admitted she had been drinking earlier that day, but cops say they can't recommend DUI-related charges because they have no evidence — she allegedly left the scene before officers could administer tests.

The paper reports she filed an allegedly false police report claiming her car had been stolen a day after the collision. That claim led Huntington Park police to contact Gardena authorities with suspicions that the car was involved in the fatality.

To stir things up even more, ABC Los Angeles says Sgt. Yanez is now the subject of an internal LAPD investigation looking into his role, whatever that might be, in his daughter's case.

Gardena police say they'll pursue Sgt. Yanez if they find evidence that he tried to thwart justice in the matter.

Bail had been set at $100,000, but Yanez was released Wednesday after promising to appear in court, police said.

Send feedback and tips to the author. Follow Dennis Romero on Twitter at @dennisjromero. Follow LA Weekly News on Twitter at @laweeklynews.

LA Weekly