A county coroner's official says actor Corey Haim had “normal prescription meds” at his home when he died early Thursday in what authorities are saying was an apparent overdose that did not involve illegal drugs.
The 38-year-old onetime child film star and subject of the defunct reality TV show The Two Coreys was rushed to a hospital around 1:30 a.m. after suffering some “distress” at the Burbank apartment he shares with his mother in the 3600 block of Barham Boulevard, according to police and television reports. “It was an apparent overdose,'' Los Angeles police Sgt. Frank Albarren said.
Coroner's Assistant Chief Ed Winter said he doesn't believe illicit drugs or foul play were involved in the actor's death: “We found no illicit drugs in the residence, and did recover some prescription meds,'' Winter told CBS2. “There were four bottles of his normal prescription meds. There doesn't appear to be foul play.''
He told KTLA News that the actor's mother discovered him in distress.
“As he got out of bed, he felt a little weak, and … went down to the floor on his knees,'' Winter said. “He's had flu-like symptoms. She called paramedics. They responded, (and) transported him to the hospital, where he was pronounced (dead) at 2:15 this morning.''
More from our Style Council blog.
-With reporting from Weekly wire services. Got news? Email us.