A Coachella attendee named Kimchi Truong apparently overdosed on drugs or alcohol around 2 a.m. last Sunday, collapsing
during a show in the festival's taxi area.
She received treatment at an aid station on the grounds, and was taken to JFK Memorial Hospital, before being transferred to Palm Springs' Desert Regional Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead yesterday, according to the Riverside County Coroner.
Truong, 24, was a resident of Oakland.
See also: How Dangerous Is Coachella, really?
The toxicology report results will not be known for four weeks. The sheriff and the coroner's office are currently investigating the death.
Though fatalities have been common at electronic music festivals in recent years, Coachella has reported only one: Six years ago Benjamin Muller, of Mesa
Arizona, California, was found unconscious camping outside the festival grounds and died shortly thereafter, on April 28, 2008. The cause of death was determined to be a drug overdose.
Concerning Truong, Goldenvoice has released this statement:
Last weekend, a festival attendee suffered an apparent drug overdose. The individual was seen by on-site medical staff and later transferred to JFK Memorial Hospital and later to Desert Regional Medical Center. We are saddened to learn the individual has died. We believe this to be an unfortunate but isolated incident. Our thoughts and condolences are with the family and friends.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, some of her Truong's friends have been reluctant to speak with the media. “Looks like you already have your story,” wrote Steve Deen, a friend of the deceased, to Desert Sun reporter Colin Atagi on Twitter.
Lynna Choi, who appears to have known Truong, wrote on Twitter: “Fucking vultures. Here's your quote, 'Go fuck yourselves.'”
See also: Kids talk about doing drugs at Coachella