For the first time in the building’s 94-year history, the Hotel Casa del Mar is offering al fresco dining on a new spacious outdoor patio all day featuring a revamped menu from chef Gemma Gray.
A native of Salamanca, Spain, Gray has been raiding the nearby farmer’s market for new additions to the Terrazza Lounge, like a silky and authentic Gazpacho Andaluz speckled with almonds and grape tomatoes, drizzled with Spanish olive oil. Another perfect light beachside lunch includes an off the menu grilled swordfish salad topped with two kinds of roasted breakfast radishes, carrots, wax beans and cauliflower in an herby vinaigrette. Top it off with a summery berry cobbler. Breakfast and brunch on the weekends are also available.
Originally a private beach club, the Club Casa del Mar opened in 1926 and was designed by L.A. architect Charles F. Plummer to reflect in the Italian Renaissance Revival style. In 1941, the United States Navy took over the
building to house enlisted soldiers during the second World War. It was closed by 1960 and sat vacant until the Synanon Foundation took it over and opened as a drug rehab in 1967, affiliated with the Church of Scientology. In 1978 The Pritikin Longevity Center moved in and then closed in 1997. After meticulous restoration, it reopened to its former glory in 1999.