Jon & Vinny's experienced a fire last night at around 8 p.m. The fire happened between the wall of the restaurant and the next-door space, and customers who were there at the time had to be evacuated. Fairfax was shut down for a time. This morning on Jon & Vinny's Instagram account, a photo showed the restaurant with fire trucks outside and the caption: “Jon & Vinny's will be closed tomorrow • standby for more details • we'll be back up soon • thankfully nobody was hurt.” 

We reached owner Vinny Dotolo this morning, who said that the cause was the heat of the wood grill slowly heating and drying the insulation behind the wall where the pizza oven is located. “The damage is minor, considering. It could have been way worse.” He estimates they'll be closed for a few days, maybe a week, and expressed his apologies to those who were in the restaurant last night and who have upcoming reservations, but he said they need to make sure the situation is under control. “The fire department takes these type of fires seriously because they get between the stainless work and framework and could smolder and start again,” he says. 

People on Yelp are already leaving negative reviews about not being able to come in. Ah, Yelp …

We're just glad everyone is OK, and that the meatballs will return shortly. 

“It's obviously not ideal,” Dotolo says, “but we will bounce back stronger than ever.”

Advertising disclosure: We may receive compensation for some of the links in our stories. Thank you for supporting LA Weekly and our advertisers.

LA Weekly